PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Crash detected!

bilijoe
April 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
:oI just finished upgrading to the new version (8.04--from 7.10). I saw a few disconcerting things whiz by as the install progressed. Mostly, they went by too fast, and the process took too long for me to make any real attempt at reading them--and, I see similar things when I choose to watch the messages during boot up (I modified my menu.lst file, so I have that option), and even though I sometimes see a bright red "[FAILED]" fly past during boot up, I have never encountered any problems. So, I have just assumed Ubuntu is so robust that those messages, and the few things I saw today during the upgrade, are simply handled by the system--somehow. However, today, when the system rebooted at the end of the upgrade, I saw something I had never seen before. There was a little icon, near the right side of my top panel, that seemed to be a tiny magnifying glass, with an orange exclamation point in it. When I positioned the mouse pointer over it, it said "Crash detected. Tracker scanning 1(,2,3,4)/4 logs." I didn't know what to do, so I clicked on the icon, and an empty window, entitled "Tracker Search Tool" opened. The only active field or area on it was a search bar, so I typed in "crash", and the thing promptly reported 119 items!:confused: So far, the only thing I have done since the upgrade is to look at some of the entries in that list, none of which made any sense to me (though I did recognize a few of the files mentioned), and open Firefox to go to the forums and write this post. A crash? Linux crashes? And what am I supposed to get from all those reported "crashes"? When I clicked on the strange little magnifying glass, it turned bright orange, but now it's gone! Do I need to worry that my upgrade failed in some way--that I'm going to start having trouble down the road somewhere? God forbid! One of the [many] reasons I switched from Windows (gag) to Linux, is because I have a fairly severe anxiety disorder, and I was always stressing over what Windows was going to do to me next (and it always did something). I have been using Ubuntu now for 6 months or so, and have been laughing out loud at my friends when they tell me their Windows Horror Stories. I used to help them get things up and running again (since I was a looong time Windows user, I could usually fix things for them). But, lately, I have decided to tell people "I don't do Windows [any more]. I will gladly help you with any problems you may have with your computer... if you switch to Ubuntu-Linux." Then I chuckle, 'cause I know they won't have any [serious] problems. But now, I'm worried. "Crash detected!" It's a long long way from the Windows BSOD, but 'crash" is an ugly word. Can someone please help me understand what happened? And what and where from was the little magnifying glass that produced the "Crash detected" statement. I stayed away from the Betas, and waited for the official release, because I wanted to avoid any surprises--like I said, I have an anxiety disorder. Please! Someone out there help me understand what this is all about. I'd really appreciate it.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Peter09
April 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM
The little icon is Tracker. Its a utility that indexes your files and allows you to search for content. Its fine.Try typing something else and it'll find different types of files. You can also find it in the application menu.

As for the crashes, these are application crashes, not LINUX. It might be worth finding out what is crashing and how often.

PC

Uncle Che
April 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I had the same issue when I upgraded. After the first bootup, they didn't come back.

bilijoe
April 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I had the same issue when I upgraded. After the first bootup, they didn't come back. Unfortunately, I have many problems that remain.:(