PDA

View Full Version : [Project] UbuLand.org - the free web hosting service for humans

Zdravko
April 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hi there!
As you know from my past thread, a small team of us is going to build a free web hosting service for everyone. I am starting a separate thread here to track the project's status and further spread the spirit of freedom as embodied in the private web space we offer!

Links:

Older thread about the project (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=750344)
Launchpad account (https://launchpad.net/ubuland)
Discussion forums (http://www.spocore.com/ubuland/)
IRC channel at: #ubuland on irc.freenode.net

So far the project is taking shape as more and more ideas arise. Unfortunately, our small team lacks developers. We are in need of software programmers (PHP, MySQL and Python) as well as art designers to paint with vivid colors the starting page of UbuLand.org, for example ;)
Interested? What are you waiting for? Just jump in and start participating in this great project! Who knows - some day it may turn into something really big and significant, as Wikipedia got or something ;)

Cheers!

madjr
April 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
sounds good :)

Michael.Godawski
April 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I would be happy to help you with the design of the the page. I have some artistic skills I guess, so if you need some logos or backgrounds just tell me. :)

Zdravko
April 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Michael.Godawski, (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=541281) have a look at the irc channel, or better - look at the blueprints in the launchpad. Currently the project developer is offline and he will come online at Wednesday. Note that the service name is not decided yet. "UbuLand.org" is just a working draft. I was thinking of yet another Zulu word, but my proposal didn't meet wide acceptance so far. Anyway, you can use our forums to post mockups with graphical art and eventually become one of the official team developers in this project! :)

blithen
April 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hey, I could try to do some python work. What do you need? (Would be a good challenge for me)

Zdravko
April 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM
We will highly appreciate any help of any kind! Python will be needed for the front end module - the one that is actually present to the end user. It is built on several interface classes. So far, I see only PHP code uploaded in launchpad. However, the project developer can show up again soon and I will ask him about Python.

Cheers!

Zdravko
May 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
The project leader is missing. We have one free work place.

kvk
May 2nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I like the feel of that idea! My development skills are so rudimentary as to be useless, but let us know when things are up and running, and I'd be delighted to switch my hosting to you folks and specifically point it out on my site! :)

jonabyte
May 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I would be interested in lending a hand with php mysql and python..skills are intermediate at best.

Zdravko
May 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Very good! We need skillful programmers too!

-grubby
May 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm an amateur at php and good at (X)HTML and CSS..how could I help?

Zdravko
May 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Just give moral support. That would be enough for a good start.

bobbocanfly
May 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Anyone interested in any way (Using or Developing or anything else) should jump into #ubuland on irc.freenode.org at 7pm BST (London Time) tonight (about half an hour after this post).

We *really* need an artist to create logos etc for the project, and a PHP developer with MySQL experience.

Zdravko
May 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Anyone interested in any way (Using or Developing or anything else) should jump into #ubuland on irc.freenode.org at 7pm BST (London Time) tonight (about half an hour after this post).

We *really* need an artist to create logos etc for the project, and a PHP developer with MySQL experience.

Cool! My dream will be realized finally!

-grubby
May 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Coincidentally, I have 2 friends that could do this. One of them is excellent at graphics, and the other has much more PHP experience, and can do MySQL. Unfortunately neither of them would be able to make a meeting at that time

EDIT: Nevermind, the one with MySQL experience is apparently already on the project

Swarms
May 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hey I would like to know what the purpose of this is, I know its a place that people can get there webpage hosted for free, but what should pay the costs, ads or donations?

bobbocanfly
May 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hey I would like to know what the purpose of this is, I know its a place that people can get there webpage hosted for free, but what should pay the costs, ads or donations?

We aim for this to be ad free. Donations are always accepted but we are planning to run it mainly out of our own pockets.

Basically we think everyone in the community should have somewhere on the Internet that is free of ads, uses as much free software as possible and is just somewhere to voice their opinions, post some photos of their cat or whatever they want really. Just someones free (beer and freedom) place on the Internet.

FlyingIsFun1217
May 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Well, I guess I could donate my image gallery code that I've been working on... not anything too useful, but if you want it for an automatic installer.

Only reason I say I can't really help you with too much PHP is because I like working in flat-file databases :D

FlyingIsFun1217

Swarms
May 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
We aim for this to be ad free. Donations are always accepted but we are planning to run it mainly out of our own pockets.

Basically we think everyone in the community should have somewhere on the Internet that is free of ads, uses as much free software as possible and is just somewhere to voice their opinions, post some photos of their cat or whatever they want really. Just someones free (beer and freedom) place on the Internet.

Ok so its paid by you the developers, thats nice.
But what its form, is it a social network where you can chat, upload pics etc, or are you able to host whole webpages?

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
don't use such big font...we are not visually impaired

bobbocanfly
May 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Ok so its paid by you the developers, thats nice.
But what its form, is it a social network where you can chat, upload pics etc, or are you able to host whole webpages?

No it will be like a proper paid for hosting service with FTP etc. for hosting pretty much whatever you want (obviously there are some limitations)

bobbocanfly
June 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Alpha One has just gone live. If you could take 5 minutes to register a test account, confirm the account and make sure you can login and logout it would be greatly appreciated!

If you manage to find any bugs please report them here https://launchpad.net/ubuland/+filebug

The test link is http://ubuland.bobbo.me.uk

Thanks a lot everyone!

FlyingIsFun1217
June 3rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
My suggestions:

On the 'Contact Us' portion, give a form that allows a direct mail to the developer mail list, etc.
Try working with relative (percentage-based) widths. It seems VERY skinny compared to what my monitor is capable of displaying.
Have a logout confirmation page.
Make a nice shiny logo ;)

Nice work so far!
FlyingIsFun1217

Nessa
June 3rd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Up for this!

bobbocanfly
June 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
My suggestions:

On the 'Contact Us' portion, give a form that allows a direct mail to the developer mail list, etc.
Try working with relative (percentage-based) widths. It seems VERY skinny compared to what my monitor is capable of displaying.
Have a logout confirmation page.
Make a nice shiny logo ;)

Nice work so far!
FlyingIsFun1217

Thanks for your feedback!

* Bug filed about this, see https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuland/+bug/237096. Should be fixed in alpha-two

* Bug filed: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuland/+bug/237102. Will hopefully be done for alpha-two but we wont release alpha-three without this :)

* Bug filed: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuland/+bug/237106. Will be fixed in alpha-two (EDIT: Just committed a fix for this)

* This is currently in progress. Should be ready for alpha-two or three.

FlyingIsFun1217
June 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
If you need any non-mSQL PHP stuff done, I can try helping out, since I've just finished with my own PHP stuff.

FlyingIsFun1217

Lostincyberspace
June 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Ok Bobbo I found an error not sure if you know about it it is a permissions error.

I will file a bug on launchpad just letting you know.

SELECT command denied to user 'bobbo'@'localhost' for table 'users'

Also unless I talk to you before you read this I have a semi updated image that we could use that looks nicer then the plain ubuland title image, so how do I get it up to the site.since we now have a working test bed the Gui work will go a lot faster.

Zdravko
June 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Hi! I feel sorry for I can't contribute to this amazing project. I would like to help somehow! So far I am the person that came up with this idea and I initially started the whole project going.
I will register myself just to see if the service has severe bugs.
Btw, I see that my earlier participation is shown in the launchpad page, which is very good. I am proud of what this project happens to be!

Zdravko
June 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Let's see whether we make it for an alpha 2... ;)

Zdravko
June 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Today alpha-2 was supposed to be released. However, due to lack of time and mostly - developers this won't happen. The whole project needs infrastructure and more coding. Any programmers are welcomed toi join our team!

fluteflute
June 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'm playing with the looks. Any thoughts?

Old (first) and new (second) attached. I've also made it percentage based (kind of).

Zdravko
June 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm playing with the looks. Any thoughts?

Teriffic! Just keep drawing! :)

coastdweller
June 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
www.ubuland.org doesn't load.

bobbocanfly
June 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
www.ubuland.org doesn't load.

We havent bought the domain yet as we are still pretty early on in developmnet. We will have it by beta stage.

FlyingIsFun1217
June 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I guess I could help a little with PHP-MySQL stuff. I'm just about finished with my own Blog software.

FlyingIsFun1217

Lostincyberspace
June 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
We have another image that ii in the bzr I know I made it I haven't been able to see it up yet on the test site since it hardly updated right now.

bobbocanfly
June 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
We have another image that ii in the bzr I know I made it I haven't been able to see it up yet on the test site since it hardly updated right now.

Main test site sticks to alphas/betas at the moment (and is currently down). My bzr (ubuland-devel branch) mirror is also down at the moment, due to computer bannage.

Lostincyberspace
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Just an update we will soon have a rolling release Server so changes can bee seen faster (especially the GUI).

Zdravko
July 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Just an update we will soon have a rolling release Server so changes can bee seen faster (especially the GUI).
Lovely! There is only one little problem, though - my account at launchpad was suddenly disabled. I sent an email to the launchpad mailing list, but still got no answer. I'd like to start testing :)

bobbocanfly
July 27th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Just a quick bump to say we have released Ubuland Alpha Two and we desperately need testers to make sure everything is working, and file bugs if it isnt.

If you have a spare few minutes jump over to http://ubuland.bobbo.me.uk, register an account and just play around, clicking links, filling in forms etc. If anything that looks out of the ordinary pops up, contact details are available on the Contact Us page.

Thanks a lot everyone!

(Mods: I hope its OK i keep bumping this at releases?)

Zdravko
July 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Of course it is okay to bump this thread! This is a way to promote our project! Btw, I am astonished to see alpha 2 released! I always knew it will be done! Now it is a fact! Now it is time for testing! :)

fluteflute
July 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Just to mention, when we say 'alpha 2' - we really mean alpha. What works generally works well (although please file bug reports / say here if it doesn't). However it is far from usable as a hosting solution! :)

bobbocanfly
July 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Just to mention, when we say 'alpha 2' - we really mean alpha. What works generally works well (although please file bug reports / say here if it doesn't). However it is far from usable as a hosting solution! :)

Hehe yeah. We have the backend stuff (logins, database class etc.) 95% finished and the theme, control panel links, logo, icons etc. 95% done. Now we have to write all the actual hosting functionality and tie it into a server (python scripts to create directories and ftp accounts etc.).

Saint Angeles
July 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
this is an exciting idea!

just wondering if you are using any open source content management systems (CMS)? or is the entire site being hard coded from scratch?

i myself have used drupal to make my personal site as well as a site for a company in norcal that is designing a brand new 100+ mpg alcohol-fueled engine.

i'll be following this closely! good luck!

fluteflute
July 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
It was coded from scratch, thats where a lot of the work has been so far.