PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] from x86 to 64bit

dhysk
April 28th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Ok, not thinking, I have installed the x86 version on my 64bit machine. I wouldn't mined formating and reinstalling if it wasn't for that fact i have it all set up already. It doesn't run horribly slow however it does seam a tad bit slower than XP.

Question is if there an easy way to change over to the 64bit version or do i have to start over? It runs ok right now however this computer also has an ATI video card, will i run into problems. Also with the 64 bit can i run a 32 bit OS virtual machine, or VMware in general?

AMD 3700+ oced to 2.9 GHz
ATI 850 pro

logos34
April 28th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Ok, not thinking, I have installed the x86 version on my 64bit machine. I wouldn't mined formating and reinstalling if it wasn't for that fact i have it all set up already. It doesn't run horribly slow however it does seam a tad bit slower than XP.

Question is if there an easy way to change over to the 64bit version or do i have to start over? It runs ok right now however this computer also has an ATI video card, will i run into problems. Also with the 64 bit can i run a 32 bit OS virtual machine, or VMware in general?

AMD 3700+ oced to 2.9 GHz
ATI 850 pro

Unfortunately you need to reinstall to change architecture.

On VMWare, see this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=715648