PDA

View Full Version : 3-2-1 Contact

SirThom
April 28th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Did anybody read 3-2-1 Contact? I think there was a tv spot by that name as well but I only knew the magazine. I subscribed to it for a while in grade school, and mainly for two features. One was the serial story about the two kids with the Tacheyon machine (Sean, which I pronounced seen, and whoever the girl was) and the column with BASIC computer programmes in it.

I tried to submit a programme to the second column once. It was some horrible drawing programme that I had written for the one of the Apple //e's hi-res graphics screen (the one that had a few lines of text at the bottom). It would ask you if you wanted to draw a dot, a line, or end. Then it would ask you to type the colour that you wanted. Then it would ask for the X and Y coordinates or either the dot or the endpoints of the line. Then it would draw that piece and loop back to the beginning.

ophion
April 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I was unaware of the magazine before you mentioned it, but I watched the program on PBS in the early 80s.

banjobacon
April 28th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have a stack of these somewhere.

SirThom
April 28th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I was unaware of the magazine before you mentioned it, but I watched the program on PBS in the early 80s.

I looked on the Wikipedia page and I see that the television programme is the main focus of the article, with a supplement on the magazine. I wasn't even aware of the programme, and I learned of the magazine because my school carried it and I started reading it.

I only learned of the programme within this past year when discussing with an ex how I used to love the television show The Edison Twins. I got some copies off ebay for nostalgia and when she saw them she talked about how much better The Bloodhound Gang on 321 Contact was.

She commented that The Edison Twins were middle class white kids (with an occasional token black person) in a gentrified neighbourhood where everybody was very agreeable and trusting and such, whereas The Bloodhound Gang was more urban and street level. I could see her point, but The Edison Twins will always hold a special place in my heart.

kevdog
April 28th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Are re-runs of the show available on YouTube? I always thought they were good -- from a kid perspective. I have never watched them as an adult.

p_quarles
April 28th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I used to have a subscription, and hadn't thought about it in years. That was a great kids publication.