PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I?

infiniteshadow
April 28th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Ok i want to get back into the Linux game.. But do i really want to? Because i am doing great with Vista.. but since my laptop is kinda lame, and ubuntu does run very fast i was thinking of switching.. Now i know that this is a Ubuntu forum so im guessing most of you would be like " FO SHO" or "Hells YA" and the occasional "UBUNTU IS 1337 VISTA suks u N00b....Hax0rs FTW!" but i need advise .. Ive got vista on my toshiba laptop, and im very interested in trying out the new ubuntu..I also have an ipod touch and was wondering if there is an itunes alternative in ubuntu. Moving on... I have had ubuntu installed before on this laptop with vista in a partition, but after a HUGE mess up.. (i deleted the ubuntu partition = grub boot loader broke XD:lolflag:) i am thinking twice about installing Ubuntu 8. I heard there is an uninstall button. Is this true? And I love Eye Candy! is there any built into Hearty? Is 8 called hearty heron :P? So many questions i know, im sorry. :KS

(edit) OMG i just read some topics about 8.04 being the worst ubuntu due to install problems..and one guy said he cant get dvds to mount.. is this happing to alot of individual's?

Btw Friend me on Pownce (infiniteshadow):KS
Or Tumblr! (therealrohan):KS

Thanks Guys!

infiniteshadow
April 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Arg.. BumP

chewearn
April 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Here is wiki to help you on dual boot:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

You should first boot into the livecd to test your laptop; make sure you are satisfied with the hardware support, check they are working and so on.

With 8.04, if you run the livecd installer from within Vista, you will be using Wubi. Here is more reading material:
http://wubi-installer.org/

Wubi is the alternative to installing ubuntu on a separate partition.

As for people having problem, you are just getting a skewed perception, because hardy heron 8.04 has just been release and tons of people are installing it. The number of people arriving at the forum with problems are sure to temporarily increase.

infiniteshadow
April 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
ok thanks alot for the reply, ill check out Wub and hopefully get back "In the game"

MasterSander
April 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Ok i want to get back into the Linux game.. But do i really want to? Because i am doing great with Vista.. but since my laptop is kinda lame, and ubuntu does run very fast i was thinking of switching.. Now i know that this is a Ubuntu forum so im guessing most of you would be like " FO SHO" or "Hells YA" and the occasional "UBUNTU IS 1337 VISTA suks u N00b....Hax0rs FTW!" but i need advise .. Ive got vista on my toshiba laptop, and im very interested in trying out the new ubuntu..I also have an ipod touch and was wondering if there is an itunes alternative in ubuntu. Moving on... I have had ubuntu installed before on this laptop with vista in a partition, but after a HUGE mess up.. (i deleted the ubuntu partition = grub boot loader broke XD:lolflag:) i am thinking twice about installing Ubuntu 8. I heard there is an uninstall button. Is this true? And I love Eye Candy! is there any built into Hearty? Is 8 called hearty heron :P? So many questions i know, im sorry. :KS

(edit) OMG i just read some topics about 8.04 being the worst ubuntu due to install problems..and one guy said he cant get dvds to mount.. is this happing to alot of individual's?

Btw Friend me on Pownce (infiniteshadow):KS
Or Tumblr! (therealrohan):KS

Thanks Guys!

I wish it was called hearty heron ;P Perhaps for some bizare reason I wouldn't have my problem with xorg, but anyway, I'd advise you too wait some more before installing ubuntu (a month or so) if you don't like to have problems. I had vista in the first month and had 3 blue screens a week. My point is that it's better to wait some time after a new version comes out to get the child diseases off. (In my opinion)

Nidding
April 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'm personally having quite some problems with the new version atm, but I definitely think you should make the move, maybe it would be wise to wait a few days before you do it, until some of the issues have started clearing up.
I have an iPod which I think works perfectly with amarok and gtkpod. Just when I switched from xp to Ubuntu, my xp actually messed up the iPod really badly, but as soon I pluged it intu my ubuntu, I got a message telling me what was wrong and it fixed it for me in a matter of minutes (hurra for MS and apple).
I say: Go for it!