PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading problems. Compiz, Firefox, Pidgin, and one other odd bug (Moved Post)

Speff
April 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hello, I just upgraded to Hardy yesterday and I did run into a few problems.

First with Compiz. I have an ATI x1400 mobility card on my e1705 Dell laptop. I got it to run by turning off the metacity compositing, but when I run it, it goes at a snail's pace. I am forced to go back to metacity (With composite to keep on AWN). I want compiz back mainly for Emerald, so if anyone has a way to turn emerald on without compiz, I am fine with that. My Xorg.conf is attached

Second, with firefox. There are times with Firefox (3b5) where it just randomly freezes for no reason. I have to wait for about a minute or two, or it just stops all together and I have to force quit it. I don't really know what could be the problem with that. The problem with pidgin is similar to the one with firefox, it just randomly freezes.

Third, when I am playing some music or opening one files in Gnome, Gnome just decides to not open them and then everything starts becoming unresponsive and I have to do a hard shutdown. I feel as this is the worst problem because I have to do this every 3 or so hours and it can't be good for the laptop.

Note that other than preserving my home directory on a separate partition, this was a clean install

Any help would be appreciated

Pumalite
April 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Sometimes the old settings don't match with the new ones. My clean installs of Hardy have been with a new /home.
Emerald, you can get from Synaptic