PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble installing Ubuntu

graphiteg4
April 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I have an old Mac Graphite G4 and the hard drive finally gave out on me. i installed a new HD and when i went to install Ubuntu i can not seen to get a dialog box all i can get is the mac folder image with a question mac which means it can find the operating system. the disk is not defective i even had gotten a disk from Ubuntu with the nice little stickers. is my system to old or is it something like holding down a series of keys any suggestions. thanks

VCF
April 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I have an old Mac Graphite G4 and the hard drive finally gave out on me. i installed a new HD and when i went to install Ubuntu i can not seen to get a dialog box all i can get is the mac folder image with a question mac which means it can find the operating system. the disk is not defective i even had gotten a disk from Ubuntu with the nice little stickers. is my system to old or is it something like holding down a series of keys any suggestions. thanks

Try holding down the C key with the Ubuntu CD-rom in the drive, it should start booting from the CD at that point.

graphiteg4
April 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Try holding down the C key with the Ubuntu CD-rom in the drive, it should start booting from the CD at that point.

no i restated and held down the c key and no go is there any thing else

VCF
April 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Try holding down the option key on restart, does it show the CD rom there? If no-go then zap the PRAM by holding down the cmd (left open apple key) & option & "p" & "r" keys (you need four fingers for this) and hold down until there is a second chime. Then try holding down the "c" key on restart or hold down the "option" key on restart and see if anything else changes. Does OS X load? if not, maybe the cdrom drive is defective?

stream303
April 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM
i installed a new HD and when i went to install Ubuntu i can not seen to get a dialog box all i can get is the mac folder image..

The guys are right - whenever new hardware is changed in a Mac, usually the pram needs to be zapped, and sometimes the pmu/smu needs to be reset.

Although it may simply be a dust bunny in the cdrom drive got loose. :)