PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommanded layouts of Ubuntu+XP installs on 2 or 3 HD ?

Browser_ice
April 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I am thinking about reformatting my PC to re-install everything. I am currently using a dual boot with XP and want to keep it as a dual boot. Right now, XP is using most of my HD and almost all my softwares/games. I want to gradually move away from XP,

I was thinking of keeping only the strict minimum for XP and using the rest of my HD for Ubuntu. The only reason I am keeping XP is because of softwares like 3dmax and games that may not run properly under Ubuntu with Wine or Cedega.

I like to isolate my systems on partitions based on the nature of the data they contain to minimize any data lost due to partition problems.

I was thinking of partitioning it all in the following way below. What do you think ?

Master 80Gb
XP : 20Gb for Windows XP O/S
Ubuntu : 60Gb for Ubuntu O/S

Slave 250Gb
XP : 10Gb for documents + softwares
XP : 10Gb for XP games
XP : 10Gb for XP temp folders (internet, users and XP's swap)
Ubuntu : 10Gb for Swap
Ubuntu : 10Gb for projects
Ubuntu : 50Gb for Virtual O/S
Ubuntu : 50Gb for /home + /usr + /tmp
Ubuntu : 100Gb for backups + movies + Ebooks + MP3

If I ever get my hands on a 20-40Gb HD and a new case, I want to use that 3rd HD for all XP temps and Ubuntu's Swap.

Browser_ice
April 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cheeee, posted this 20 hours ago and its already gone to page 15 without answers ?

dryer
April 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I don't follow why you want such a huge swap partion? Generally the rule of thumb for swap is twice you ram but with the processing power these days, I even go as low as 512mb, if you start swapping much more its only gonna slow down your system anyway.