PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu

Wangberg
April 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hello. I figured i'd introduce myself since i'm a new Ubuntu user.

I have been using Fedora linux for about 1.5 years. I have been so opposed to using any distro other than red hat, but finally realized where my place was. As a desktop user, Ubuntu is it. I just installed 8.04 and everything works, out of the box. Wireless, audio, etc. Also, i no longer have to install a new release every 6 months :D

I am looking forward to posting on this forum. I have met some brilliant minds on the fedora forums, and certainly look forward to meeting many here.

So far, i like ubuntu but still needs some tweaking.

Cheers!

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Welcome, and enjoy. Tweaking is the most fun part :) Though I guess it depends on what kind of tweaking you mean. As a mostly-KDE user (though posting from Gnome ATM), I love getting my hands dirty with tweaking.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM
welcome aboard!

madjr
April 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Also, i no longer have to install a new release every 6 months :D

you installed a new release of fedora every 6 months?

how well (or bad) was the upgrade process?

Yea i like LTS's, i think I'll stay about 2 years with it, unless i find the upcoming releases more stable and less buggy (which i doubt...).

Wangberg
April 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
you installed a new release of fedora every 6 months?

how well (or bad) was the upgrade process?

Yea i like LTS's, i think I'll stay about 2 years with it, unless i find the upcoming releases more stable and less buggy (which i doubt...).

Yeah...Fedora has a 6 month release cycle. after 18 months (it may be shorter) the release is no longer supported. it would be a full blown reinstall to upgrade from version X to Y, every 6 months. Really, you could skip a build and reinstall once a year, but even that gets old.

-gabe-noob-
April 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
WELCOME

and be sure to ask me for a background for you desktop :D I'm honing my GIMP skills just tell me what you want, and you'll get my novice rendition of it :D