PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Musicians the chromatic bible

Bubba64
April 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hello fellow musicians there is a book by George Russel called Lydian Chromatic Concepts. This book is one of the top books on learning to play in a modal horizontal and vertical manner, Many great players have studied this method with the want to step outside the standard understanding of chords and root based scales for soling. This book will be hard to understand if you don't already have an understanding of the scale structures of any possible key and chord: with altered parts such as flattened or sharpened structures beyond the basic key and chord structures. here are a couple of links that will give a better description. I am also curious if anybody here in Linux Land is familiar with this book,
http://www.georgerussell.com/gr.html
http://www.georgerussell.com/
George was a teacher at the New england Conservatory of Music for many years.
The book is also extremely expensive but worth every cent, you might find a copy in your local library. This book gives you a mathematical approach to understand music from a theoretical point of view, and will expand your soling capabilities in ways you would not have imagined, you can move beyond the average chunking.

Bubba64
April 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM
C major which is A relative minor which is D minor natural 6.

SuperSon!c
April 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM
heh, this is aimed at an extremely small audience here i imagine.

warbread
April 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
So far as I can tell, this is a $125 book that says to resolve to the subdominant instead of the root. Is there something more?

Bubba64
April 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
So far as I can tell, this is a $125 book that says to resolve to the subdominant instead of the root. Is there something more?

Yes your impression could be said to be true in some sense, except that there is nothing in it about using the concept as a resolution in particular, the books author already assumes you understand basic V-I resolution. What it does is teaches you another way of creating harmonic and tonal color. It is a modal approach, which some of you may do automatically but most people probably don't think in this way. It is hard to describe it, but it is a 12 tone approach and or chromatic system. Thanks for responding

Bubba64
April 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
heh, this is aimed at an extremely small audience here i imagine.

Probably. but that is the plight of something far from pop culture and advanced in understanding of our 12 tone tonal system. I would say though that people who have been popular have studied this concept.