PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP!!!Ubuntu Server 6.06

sasbrian
April 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi,
I have Ubuntu 6.06 installed on my dedicated server.I want to install gnome and vnc on it so i can access remotely like Windows remote desktop.I've searched a lot but i am unable to install it.
Any help will be appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Brian

ikt
April 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
if you are going to use gui why not install ubuntu desktop?

gtdaqua
April 28th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Hi,
I have Ubuntu 6.06 installed on my dedicated server.I want to install gnome and vnc on it so i can access remotely like Windows remote desktop.I've searched a lot but i am unable to install it.
Any help will be appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Brian

what and why you want to access thru GUI on a server? CLI is best. Install open-ssh to administer your server remotely.

What kind of server app do u think is there on your server that need to be accessed by GUI?

Brazen
April 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
GUI on a server? We don't take to kindly to that 'round these here parts.

Seriously though, you might have better luck asking in a desktop category as openssh-server (and posssibly Webmin or ebox) is pretty much the end-all in remote server administration.

cdtech
April 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I use putty to access my server from my windows box and slogin from my Linux box. Everything is done via CLI on my server. As a matter of fact, my server is just a box shoved in a closet with a UPS and no user peripherals. An ISP modem, wifi setup and thats it.