PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't load BIOS setup

again617
April 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Okay, I'm not sure which section to post this question, but since I first noticed it after upgrading to 8.04 I'll post it here.

I can't get to my BIOS setup. When I try, it gives me an error saying "System Authentication Failed
Press Escape to Continue..."

So naturally I press escape which brings me to the grub boot loader. So this isn't terrible as my computer is still implements runnable (sorry, to much Java) but it is annoying.

I can't see how anything I've done will have changed anything with the BIOS. I'm sure I could still go into the setup menu with 7.10.

I'm running an IBM Thinkpad T41. I upgraded to 8.04 using the upgrade button as opposed to clean install.

p.s. The reason that I want to go into the BIOS setup is to boot from usb. If someone knows of an easier way to this than by fixing my computer I might be satisfied with that.

sedefsiz_masrapa
April 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
please help!
i am in the same problem
authentication failed writing and i am not able to login!

kellemes
April 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Don't know what the bootloader has to do with this actually..
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4k2pz7.html

again617
April 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. It says I need a recovery cd, except I was never given one. So I guess I don't really need to ever enter the setup.

Lipstick&Linux
May 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hi again617,

Did you find another way of solving this besides using the recovery cds? I'm trying to boot from a USB as well on a T41. Do you know if that's even an option if I were able to get into the bios?

Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

Warm Regards

njparton
May 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Try hitting the Esc key every second from the moment you power on. If the bios has a boot manager then it should come up and allow you to select which device to boot from.

Most modern desktop motherboards now have this feature, not sure about notebooks.

Lipstick&Linux
May 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
That worked for me nj. Thanks for the help!

njparton
May 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
No worries, just don't go kissing your screen with those lips! :)