PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound after upgrade to 8.04.

RossAndGarfunkel
April 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I am on Ubuntu 8.04, on an Acer 5600 laptop, with an Intel Corporation 82801G HD Audio card. I have been using 7.10 for months, until yesterday, when I upgraded to 8.04. Now, I have absolutely no sound. All volume controls work fine, but no matter what tests I run and options I mess with, I can not get my computer to even beep.

I previously tried to get help in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759338), but no one knew what was wrong there. Thanks.

Glucklich
April 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Since yesterday I'm looking for a solution. I think we have the same problem. But we can't find a solution. The only difference is that I installed the OS for the first time.

RossAndGarfunkel
April 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Well I hate to bump up a thread, but as you can imagine this is a pretty significant issue.

Cannaregio
April 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
For what it is worth, here is how I solved my own sound problems on a sony vaio with a INTEL 82801DB.
Sound disappeared totally when updating to Hardy from Gutsy.
Tried many modifications (adding a line at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base along the lines of options snd-hda-intel model=xyz etcetera), didn't work.
What worked was adding users (and myself) to the pulse groups. (and restarting !!)

So go to System --> Administration --> Users and groups
Manage groups, unlock and choose properties for each pulse group.
Then add all the users that should have sound.
Then restart/reboot.

Hope it helps. It helped me!

Why the installation did not add users by default beats me.

RossAndGarfunkel
April 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
For what it is worth, here is how I solved my own sound problems on a sony vaio with a INTEL 82801DB.
Sound disappeared totally when updating to Hardy from Gutsy.
Tried many modifications (adding a line at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base along the lines of options snd-hda-intel model=xyz etcetera), didn't work.
What worked was adding users (and myself) to the pulse groups. (and restarting !!)

So go to System --> Administration --> Users and groups
Manage groups, unlock and choose properties for each pulse group.
Then add all the users that should have sound.
Then restart/reboot.

Hope it helps. It helped me!

Why the installation did not add users by default beats me.

Nope. No such luck.

Lawrence Talbot
April 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry I don't have the commands with me at the present time but I ran sudo and got a list of my sound cards. I then made the sound card I wanted to use as the default card. I rebooted and the sound started to work again. I will try and repost this with more information. This worked for me in the last two versions of Ubuntu. But Audacity will no longer record since I updated.

Lawrence Talbot
April 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM
sudo asoundconf list

This will print out all sound cards you have. Then, use this command to set your default choice.

sudo asoundconf set-default-card CARD* *This would be your card.

where CARD is your desired card as printed out by the first command.

Here is what I used. I got it off the forums.

RossAndGarfunkel
April 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
sudo asoundconf list

This will print out all sound cards you have. Then, use this command to set your default choice.

sudo asoundconf set-default-card CARD* *This would be your card.

where CARD is your desired card as printed out by the first command.

Here is what I used. I got it off the forums.

Nope. Thanks for trying guys, by the way.