PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] open office or nautilus unstable after 8.04 upgrade

djopino
April 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hello,

I made the 7.10 to 8.04 upgrade and everything went fine.

Today I had to use open office writer (2.4) and nautilus previewing images (icon view). I had a lot of freezes when switching fast between nautilus and open office. If I had music playing, it continues playing. I can move the cursor but the keyboard wont respond (so I can't do ctrl+alt+backspace or even open a console with ctrl+alt+f1). I push the power button to do a normal shut down and it do nothing. I had to reset. It happened after few minutes (15 to 45 mins) of usage, not every time.

I will try to reinstall a fresh copy of 8.04 to see what happens. Is there anything I can post to diagnose my problem (I don't about logs and all that stuff...)?

I am using compiz-fusion, gnome, nvidia proprietary driver via envy, ubuntu 8.04 AMD64, my machine is Pentium Dual Core 2.0 ghz, wd sata 2 500 gigs hd, geforce 8400gs pci express graphic gard, gigabyte motherboard with nforce 610i chipset, dvd-rom...

Thank you for your time

arm-c
April 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I too have had a lockup that froze screen / keyboard with exception of the mouse/cursor. It required a reboot.

What precipitated the lock up. Unsure, but I had been prompted to open a file and to select the application to open it with. I selected a wrong application.

No explanation. Haven't tried to recreate it.

Sorry, no solution from me... just support. Sounds like common thread is Nautilus.