PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to tunnel through my network restrictions....

kshtjsnghl
April 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi
I reside in the hostel of my engineering college and internet service is provided by the college itself. But lately, they have introduced many restrictions on the network.

for example, many social networking sites have been blocked.
Besides these, my major concern is that there is a restriction that limits the size of the file intended to be downloaded and that is kept to be 5mb.

Due to these problems i am practically unable to update to hardy heron and download its packages.

But many students in our campus who use windows use some tunneling softwares like - ultrasurf,etc. to tunnel through these restrictions.

So I just wanted to know if there are any kind of applications available that can be used by me on ubuntu which can enable me(though 'illegally') to be unaffected by these restrictions.(both to surf the blocked sites and most importantly the restriction limiting the download size).
Thanks

kshtjsnghl
April 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi can anyone help me over here please.
thanks

Nano Geek
April 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sorry, but the Ubuntu Forums CoC (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) does not allow members to tell others how to get past firewalls that you aren't supposed to get past. Sorry

Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialogue, images, content, or links to these things will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. Posting or linking to any of these could result in a ban.

tribaal
April 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
EDIT:
If this post indeed violates this forums CoC, please delete it without warning.

EDIT 2:
I think this indeeds violates forum policy. Post removed.

EDIT 3:
As a general advice, I *strongly suggest* you read "man ssh", especially the part regarding the "-D" switch.
If this still violates forum policy... well... please delete.

kshtjsnghl
April 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Oh I am sorry
I didn't know about that.
thanks