PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iso downloads?'s

creekchub
April 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM
i am very seriously wanting to try out a linux OS i have decided on ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. i have so far been unsuccessful in downloading a good iso to copy to disc. downloading from several different sites here in north america listed on the Ubuntu website with no avail. i did manage to burn one cd and it has 40 file errors on it. i did order the free cd but it will be weeks before it arrives. i need help badly getting a good copy and burn. i am using roxio cd burner and at lowest setting of 4x.

Rallg
April 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hmmm... My download (from easynews mirror in North America) worked the first time. I burned it using Alex Feynman's ISOrecorder (Vista or XP) at 4X.

When you burn it, you are making a bootable ISO image, yes? That isn't the problem you described, but I mention it for the benefit of others who find this thread.

Hymyly
April 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM
The HTTP-servers are swamped this soon after the release date. Try downloading via Bittorrent instead. Then you get automatic checksum testing for every downloaded chunk, and the download runs quicker the more people are downloading. I downloaded all four images simultaneously at 200 kiB/s each.

kellemes
April 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
i am very seriously wanting to try out a linux OS i have decided on ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. i have so far been unsuccessful in downloading a good iso to copy to disc. downloading from several different sites here in north america listed on the Ubuntu website with no avail. i did manage to burn one cd and it has 40 file errors on it. i did order the free cd but it will be weeks before it arrives. i need help badly getting a good copy and burn. i am using roxio cd burner and at lowest setting of 4x.

Don't forget to burn the iso as an image instead of burning the iso as a standard file, al explained here..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

creekchub
April 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
well i finally got it to work i am using ubuntu as i type this. i like the look guess im gonna have to play with it. before i totally commit