PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get: REALLY slow d/l speeds from medibuntu repo

nimajiman
April 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hi there,

Have just put on a fresh install of ubuntu hardy and have so far found it to be rock solid, stable and faster than previous versions. I know some have had bad experiences with hardy but I coudln't be happier so far.

That is, EXCEPT for when I try and install any packages from medibuntu. I have a reasonable internet broadband connection, and can usually d/l 100mb in a couple of minutes, however when trying to install some packages from medibuntu (google earth, acroread etc) of about 70mb in size, my d/l speed has been miserably slow to the point of taking 13hrs - 3 days! I decided to just let it run and see if it gets better after a while, but it has now been downloading this 70mb worth of data for about 9 hrs!

Anyway I know that if there is a heavy load on the servers things are likely to slow down, but I am getting ridiculous speeds of 1300B/s and less continuously from medibuntu. Other repos seem to be fine and d/l at standard speeds.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a setting or firewall or something on my end that could be causing this massive slowdown?

nimajiman
April 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I should add that I am doing this from command line:

sudo apt-get install acroread etc...

Which I would guess would rule out any problems with front-end apps like Synaptic.

Joeb454
April 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I'd imagine the servers are still being hit pretty hard after Hardy's release on Thursday :(

mgmiller
April 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have also noticed a very slow download from medibuntu. I normally can get up to 2000 k from the standard repos, but medibuntu, as I write this is running at 56.3 kB/s. Very annoying. I noticed it started slowing down a week or so ago when I was still running gutsy. I just finished my upgrade to hardy and am getting the latest and greatest from medibuntu to finish off.

nimajiman
April 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys - if it's just because of heavy server load that's fine, I imagine it will return to normal eventually. I was just concerned there was something 'choking' the speed on my end, but it doesn't sound like it.

I guess I'll wait and see if things improve.

Cheers