PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no installation

Alkaif
April 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
hi guys,

so just downloaded the new 8.04 release. Must say it looks very nice and beautiful except for one problem. The CD does not want to load at all on the laptop. What I mean is:

The CD loads the ubuntu screen, i choose english (language screen pops up out of no where) then choose install.

The loading kernel screen pops up and then just hangs there for about 10 mins (I dont really know what its doing, but i am assuming its loading). Once this process has finished it then progresses onto loading the ubuntu title plus the little loading bar that goes from side to side.

2 Minutes later my laptop is frozen with the capslock light blinking. What does that mean?

I have not tried to load ubuntu 7.10 (but maybe i should since so many people are complaining about things not working on 8.04) and wait a while until things are fixed.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv2000 (dv2307tx) with 1GB DDR2 ram, 7200GeForce Go with windows XP (to hell with vista :D).

If theres anything i can do please let me know.

cheers,
alkaif.

FredB
April 27th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Maybe you burn the CD with a speed too high ?

Alkaif
April 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
well at first i thought it was that, but i tried the CD on my desktop computer and it worked fine.

any other possibilities?

i've tried the 7.10 CD and it works fine.

Alkaif
April 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
bump!

i am sure there are other people who have had this problem... please help.

this is definately ruining my ubuntu experience. i wonder if other distros will work.

FredB
April 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM
bump!

i am sure there are other people who have had this problem... please help.

this is definately ruining my ubuntu experience. i wonder if other distros will work.

Could be an ACPI problem. Do you try booting with a disabled ACPI ?

martin15s
April 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
had the same problem with my old Toshiba Sat Pro 1400-153S using 7.10 livecd - downloaded 8.04 alternate (NOT live) - F6 add "fb=false" (no commas) and then install. Then had the Trident Cyberblade graphics problem (well doucumented in forums) resolved by editing in sudo displayconfig.gtk. Hope this helps.....

Alkaif
April 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
not too sure what happened, but guess what? I re-downloaded the CD and burnt it on a slower speed and it installed. Mind you i downloaded the alternative install CD which definately worked. So installed linux on laptop along with desktop computer :).

hopefully it works.

Now i really feel like a dumb *** lolz :(.

thanks so much for your help though.

jinchoung
April 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
well,

i'm on an abit ip35 and i downloaded and burned the 64bit iso.

i can get the menu to wubi inside of xp and when i try to boot off the dvd, it boots but it never installs.

it just stops at initramfs.

and when i google, i can't get any definitive solution.

this is INEXCUSABLE. if there are caveats to any of the steps that i've taken, there should be an install guide that tells me what exactly to do.

but nope, they make ya think it's as easy as burning an iso and telling it to install.

there isn't even a TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE that features this issue prominently (and yes, i've googled enough to know others are having this problem).

i registered specifically to say that that's it. i'm done.

IT DIDN'T WORK.

i'm not going to bash my head into the wall and spend hours troubleshooting to give this a go.

if this is linux for the people, it's specifically designed for masochists.

jin

arethz
August 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hey, I got the same problem when trying to install the 8.04 version of ubuntu on my compaQ. The progress bar stopped moving and capslock button blinking during the installation. At first I thought the CD was damaged. Now, I'm re-downloading the alternate version and hopefully it will works because I like Ubuntu~ :popcorn: