PDA

View Full Version : US Cannonical Store

frogotronic
April 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Why is there no CannonicalUS Store? I'd like to get some things, but I can't justify the (A) VERY high prices and (B) Very high shipping.

Anyone else feel this way?

Joeb454
April 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM
It's like it in the UK too.

Well...the prices aren't that high, but shipping is expensive. Plus if I remember correctly, the US Dollar isn't doing so well at the minute :(

frogotronic
April 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Well...the prices aren't that high, but shipping is expensive. Plus if I remember correctly, the US Dollar isn't doing so well at the minute :(

The Ogio Metro bag is double + shipping. The small stuff, like stickers and mugs, etc are fair. But the shirts, hats are still a bit pricey.

Joeb454
April 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Again - I believe this is because of the current exchange rate between the GBP and USD. Perhaps you could suggest it to canonical if they have a feedback page :)

macogw
April 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM

I don't care what the US dollar is in relation to elsewhere, it's still abnormal here to see a t-shirt selling for over $20. It simply wouldn't sell at all at $30 (which is what Canonical charges). $17 was normal a year ago and it's still normal now. It's not like there's been massive inflation.

jimrz
April 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Yes. Our LoCo here recently placed a group order and, high prices aside, reducing both the shipping and customs charges would make it more likely that more folks here might consider buying there.

acelin
April 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Well the GDB is doing as well as the dollar vs the Euro so...

mr.propre
April 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM
It might be a good idea in the future but only if they keep an European store. It would also be a good idea to support Sepa as most Europeans don't have a credit-card.

bonzodog
April 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Canonical are avoiding having a US store and a UK store. It's very deliberate to avoid having to pay tax on sales, also they don't want to be a target that can be hit in any legal way.
This is why they have based themselves on the Isle of Man, to avoid UK and US law, government, and taxation system.

mr.propre
April 28th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Canonical are avoiding having a US store and a UK store. It's very deliberate to avoid having to pay tax on sales, also they don't want to be a target that can be hit in any legal way.
This is why they have based themselves on the Isle of Man, to avoid UK and US law, government, and taxation system.

The strore is located north of london though:
Merchandise Mania Limited, 6 Elstree Way, Borehamwood, Herts, WD6 1RN. Tel: +44 (0) 845 202 2388
So they pay UK tax, translated into a VAT of 17.5%

Something that doesn't exists in the US.

barbedsaber
April 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
hey, can we have one down here as well.

shipping is a killer, and I really want one of the speaker thingies, looks awsome.

billgoldberg
April 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It might be a good idea in the future but only if they keep an European store. It would also be a good idea to support Sepa as most Europeans don't have a credit-card.

Not knowing what sepa is, I don't like that fact that most stores want credit cards. Nobody uses those here.

I'm still pissed of that I can't buy Tekken 5 DR for ps3 because they only accept credit card. I don't know anyone (nobody from my friends or family) that has a credit card.

But I guess that was besides the point.

I would like to see a EU based store, so we can buy the merchandise in €, not in £.

frogotronic
April 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Not knowing what sepa is, I don't like that fact that most stores want credit cards. Nobody uses those here.

I'm still pissed of that I can't buy Tekken 5 DR for ps3 because they only accept credit card. I don't know anyone (nobody from my friends or family) that has a credit card.

But I guess that was besides the point.

I would like to see a EU based store, so we can buy the merchandise in €, not in £.

If you wait five more years, the pound will probably disappear...

mr.propre
May 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Single Euro Payments Area:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area