PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] hardy upgrade: can't restart X server (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace)

tanguyr
April 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hello,

After upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy, i am experiencing the following problem with my X server: if i kill the X server (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace), or if it dies of "natural causes" (i.e. compiz crashes) i am left at a black screen with no possibility to get back to a graphical or command line interface. In Gutsy X would restart and i would be returned to the KDM login screen, or at least i could use Ctrl-Alt-F1-F6 to get a CL prompt. Now in Hardy: nothing - i am forced to hard reboot the machine.

This is on an Asus W2 laptop with an ATI X1700 card running fglrx drivers. I am running my xorg.conf file from Gutsy, except that now AIGLX and Compositing are turned on.

Regs,
/t

Quicky
April 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I have exactly the same problem. I'm running Ubuntu (not kubuntu), on a laptop with an integrated intel graphics card. I have no desktop effects enabled, so its a fairly different setup to yours, but I still have the same issue.

I went straight from Dapper (LTS only for me) which was faultless in every respect, and I'm slowly beginning to question why I upgraded.

sporkinum
May 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Exact same problem. And that is when running with the vesa driver as I can't get the radeon driver to work at all. This hoses me being able to log out back into the login screen.

I truly think they must have done hardly any testing prior to release.

lordbux
December 31st, 2009, 05:00 AM
bump

lordbux
April 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM
you can re-enable the
ctr-alt-backspace as it is disabled by default in Hardy

Using GNOME

* Get to the System->Preferences->Keyboard menu.

* Select the “Layouts” tab and click on the “Layout Options” button.

* Then select “Key sequence to kill the X server” and enable “Control + Alt + Backspace”.

------------------------------------
Using KDE

* Launch “systemsettings”

* Select “Regional & Language”.

* Select “Keyboard Layout”.

* Click on “Enable keyboard layouts” (in the Layout tab).

* Select the “Advanced” tab. Then select “Key sequence to kill the X server” and enable “Control + Alt + Backspace”.
-------------------------------------===
Using the command line

You can type the following command to enable Zapping immediately.

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

If you’re happy with the new behaviour you can add that command to your ~/.xinitrc in order to make the change permanent.
---------------------------------------------------
Using HAL

You can add the following line in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-input.fdi (inside the <match key=”info.capabilities” contains=”input.keys”> section):

<merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp</merge>

markjensen
May 3rd, 2010, 12:47 AM
You can type the following command to enable Zapping immediately.

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

If you’re happy with the new behaviour you can add that command to your ~/.xinitrc in order to make the change permanent.
---------------------------------------------------
Using HAL

You can add the following line in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-input.fdi (inside the <match key=”info.capabilities” contains=”input.keys”> section):

<merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp</merge>
I am using Fluxbox, so can't navigate the KDE or Gnome menus.

The command "setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" works fine. However, I have to enter it in a terminal every time to get it to work again. I created an .xinitrc file with "setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp", but that does nothing.

I tried to follow your HAL instructions, but there is no "10-x11-input.fdi" file. There is a plain input file: 10-input-policy.fdi that has the indicated input.keys section. But, as you might guess, there is no restoring CTRL-ALT-Backspace function.

Any additional insight? Running a 10.04 Xubuntu foundation with fluxbox as my WM.