PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Unresponsive!?!?!?!

manizzle
April 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi. So i just recently upgraded to hardy. When first installing, it said there was an error installing samba-commmon, smbclient, and ubuntu-desktop.
Now, restarting into hardy, the desktop is unresponsive, i cannot open my home folder, and filesystem. I cannot right click on the desktop, there are no icons and basically i cannot do anything on my desktop. My wallpaper has disappeared and im left with a brown screen and no right clicking. I tried running nautilus from terminal and came up with this:

seahorse nautilus module initialized
Initializing nautilus-share extension
nautilus: symbol lookup error: nautilus: undefined symbol: g_file_query_filesystem_info_async

please help me. I cant even access any of my files. Okay. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

butigy
May 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I had this, this is how I solved it:

the symbol g_file_query_filesystem_info_async is a function in glocalfileinfo.c.

So I did a

locate glocalfile.c

which pointed to a glib installation I had done myself from source (glib-2.15.4). So I uninstalled this

cd /usr/local/src/glib-2.15.4
sudo make uninstall

and then for good measure did a reinstall of various glib bits and bobs via the synaptic package manager.

Hope that helps.

Awalton
May 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Your (locally) installed version of GIO is too old. Either uninstall it as the previous user mentioned, or update to trunk (may require a Nautilus rebuild, not sure where we are in terms of ABI compatibility yet.)

jmvankeuren
August 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Sorry for bump.

I think I have this problem to in Ubuntu 10.4. Ubuntu works fine except the desktop is unresponsive to clicking and doesn't display any of the content in homefolder/desktop.

I'm very new to linux and tried what was in these posts but I must be doing something wrong. I'd appreciate if it could be explained better.