PDA

View Full Version : career with ubuntu/canonical

technomaniac
April 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a undergrad student of Computer Science at NIT-Surat, one of the most reputed engineering colleges in India. I have been using Ubuntu for more than 2 years now. I love the OS and I would like to work towards making GNU/Linux the defacto desktop OS.

I dunno where to post this thread so I am just doing it here. I like the work that Ubuntu is doing, bringing GNU/Linux to the desktop. While companies like Redhat have given up, Ubuntu is still going strong. Next year my placement season will start and there will be all sorts of IT companies coming including biggies like Microsoft, Google, Texas Instruments, and other Indian MNCs. And being one of the best programmers of my year (albeit with a low CGPA) I will get a good package. But I like the work being done at Ubuntu and I would love to work for it.

So I would like to know how a career is at Canonical/Ubuntu? Do they hire freshers?

Yes, I know I can definitely contribute to Ubuntu without being part of the company. But getting to do what you like and getting paid for it is a much more rewarding experience. Frankly, I am not the least interested in developing Java based 'e-CRM','banking solutions' and such other stupid stuff that most of my friends will do, whatever may be the salary. Yes, both Google and Microsoft do very innovative stuff. But my love is GNU/Linux. I want to work on an OS and bring it to the people. And Ubuntu is closest to that.

Regards,
Sandip Dev

technomaniac
April 27th, 2008, 07:13 AM
And one more thing. Right now my college runs Redhat enterprise linux 3 on all its PCs. I have convinced the administration to install Ubuntu on all of them. I and a few other friends of mine will be doing it. We will first try all versions of Ubuntu from 6.06 to 8.04 on a single PC. And then we will install whichever is the most suitable and compatible.

You should all thank me because convincing the overall in charge of the PCs to even upgrade the browser is a herculean task-the look that he gives. But I did it. Actually I frightened him by telling how most of the software is outdated, listing a plethora of flaws in the mail server/webserver/ftp server, and he took it. Hehe...;-) I even said that I could crack the mail server in 30 seconds and you should have seen his face. He went red. It was real fun.

And also, we are going to conduct a two day computing event in our college on 27 and 28 september. And we are planning to distribute 500 ubuntu CDs during this event. Also we shall distribute other FOSS stuff. So wish us luck.

DC@DR
April 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I guess this place is not a good place for what you're looing for, since not many Canonical's people walking around here. Why don't you directly email them? I can see here some vacant positions: http://www.ubuntu.com/employment. Check it out to see if you could find something interesting :-)
P/S: This is what they guide in that page:
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and CV with references to jobs@siriusit.co.uk
We prefer to receive applications in either PDF or plain text format. Please note you must be a EU resident or have a valid working visa to apply for this role

pt_lam
April 27th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Yes, I like your point.

I'm an undergraduate student studying Computer Science in Hong Kong. I've been thinking about my career after graduation. Many of my schoolmates aspire to join the sort of big banks or other enterprises to the stuff you mentioned. I really hate this sort of jobs, though it can bring you a great bunch of money, it means nothing and is meaningless to me. I really want to do something I like and feel comfortable with.

Nevertheless, still got not much ideas at the moment. Maybe I'll still have to face the truth after my graduation.

technomaniac
April 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
DC@DR: well yes i can directly write to them.However, as of now I dont want to make a formal enquiry. Sending my CV and stuff becomes too formal.Yes, I did go through the job openings and they are quite interesting. I just wanted to talk to people who are already working at Canonical. Talking to their HR right now is not really a sound idea.
Thanks anyways

pt_lam: Yes man.I dont want to write some boring code. I want to write software that everyone can use