PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy and Grub aren't playing well together, help please!

c00kie1000
April 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Let me start off by explaining my hardware situation:

1 160GB IDE HD
4 500GB SATA HDs set up as RAID5
nVidia 8500 card
2 IDE optical drives
4GB RAM

ok, so I had my box set up so that the 160GB drive was dual boot with Windows XP Pro on a 100GB partition, and the other 50someGB with Feisty (then Gutsy). Unfortunately, while fooling around on Gutsy, I did something nasty with the graphics card driver so my dual monitor setup stopped working. The plan: do a fresh install of Hardy to clear up the mess I made with Gutsy. Unfortunately, things went awry and when I tried rebooting after the install, GRUB told me it couldn't find the hard drive. It was then that I realised that the IDE drive was no longer hdaXX but instead sdeXX. So I modified the GRUB files to say hda instead of sde... and now I get GRUB ERROR 22.

Any idea how to make Hardy and GRUB play nicely?

also, to make sure that the filesystems were all OK, along with the partitions, I booted up using a Puppy Linux cd and mounted the filesystems (that's also how I got to a point where I could modify the grub device.map file).

thanks in advance!

fridayjones85
April 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I realize that this entirely sidesteps the actual question (and I apologize if you'd already thought of this), but perhaps it will suffice:

Since you already have a working install of Windows, you could just install Hardy Heron using Wubi -- that way you wouldn't have to deal with complexities of configuring Grub for your RAID.

c00kie1000
April 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
thanks! it's working now!