PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use linux?

Lord Xeb
April 27th, 2008, 03:09 AM
What flavor?:

Why?: I tried to dual boot WinXP and Linux, but ended up screwing up my MBR, but at the time, i did not know that it could be fixed D: *silently says DAMMIT!!!!* And to make a long story short, I now Have Ubuntu!!!!

How is your experience?: No viruses :D, Stability in most aspects are through the roof, FREE, fun to work with, security is better than that

When?: By at the being of January of 08 :D

System Information?:
Model: IBM T43
Processor: 1861 MHz Pentium M
FSB: 533 MHz
RAM: 1.5 GB
HDD: 40GB 4200rpm IBM TravelStar
OS(es): Virtualbox with WinXP (for versatility ), Ubuntu 7.10 (main OS), Knoppix LiveCD(security testing/cracking)

Side note: IBM's T4x series (which were the last of the good ones before they sold out their notebooks to Lenovo) are the best damn notebooks I have ever seen! :guitar:

Washer
April 27th, 2008, 03:16 AM
came for the compiz, stayed for the freedom. I hate vista not because it's ugly, but because of all the retard hoops you have to jump through to get a good software environment.

loell
April 27th, 2008, 03:24 AM
this question was already asked a gazillion times, to the point that anyone would ask,
Why don't you just search the forum? you'll find similar or even exact threads with long answers and arguments for this topic.

Washer
April 27th, 2008, 03:27 AM
this question was already asked a gazillion times therefore once more won't hurt. We have new users every day & it's a popular topic.

natrixgli
April 27th, 2008, 03:40 AM
The top reasons in my book

- Flexibility and choice
- Freedom from licensing restrictions
- Rapid development
- Quality documentation & support, which I can improve if it's not to my liking
- Sense of pride and accomplishment from getting things to work
- Actually being ABLE to get things to work
- The fact that the GUI is separate from the OS
- Ability to run a server without a GUI and easily manage it remotely
- Yes, I DO love the command line
- Package management. Couldn't live without it!
- Multiple desktops

And on, and on, and on. It's just nice that if I decide I want another web server I can whip one together in under an hour without having to buy anything. If I want to replace my computer, all I have to do on a fresh install is copy my /home and reinstall a few packages. I like that my data is MINE and doesn't require purchasing costly licenses to retrieve down the road...

It's just that good.

Cheerio,

-n8

cardinals_fan
April 27th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I currently dual-boot Zenwalk and FreeBSD. I intend to try DragonFly BSD tomorrow (can't wait :) )

I came for control, pure and simple. Windows wouldn't let me gain control of every facet of my system, and that wouldn't do. So I installed Ubuntu Edgy and never looked back. I've tried Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Arch, Slackware, and Zenwalk. Of these, Zenwalk is the best, and I prefer the BSD's anyway.

Aside from control, I love the speed of my system. I run a minimalistic Openbox and it flies.

EDIT: I forgot the command line and package management. Two must-haves.

Jackisback321
April 27th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I use it for the versatility and because it's so customizable. It's also nice to support the Linux community and be a part of it. Oh, and compiz. :)

bribri124
April 27th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I use it to pick up hot chicks. And then my girlfriend told me I'm too geeky for them and I spend too much time in front of my systems.

Let me see if I can think of a better reason...

gambrjl
April 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM
1. Cheap

I screwed up my computer in college (1996) and didn't have a windows disk. Buddy in the dorm said.. "Use Linux, it's free".. well, the rest is history.

Lord Xeb
April 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM
O_o And who thinks I want someone else's responses?

zetetic
April 27th, 2008, 04:47 AM
this question was already asked a gazillion times, to the point that anyone would ask,
Why don't you just search the forum? you'll find similar or even exact threads with long answers and arguments for this topic.

I agree.