Roanoke
April 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM
When I type "compiz --replace" in the console, I get this:

roanoke@roanoke-laptop:~$ compiz --replace

Checking for Xgl: present.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for Xgl: present.
Enabling Xgl with nVidia drivers...
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: no 'text' plugin with ABI version '20070902' loaded

/usr/bin/compiz.real (ring) - Warn: No compatible text plugin found.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (bicubic) - Fatal: GL_ARB_texture_float not supported. This can lead to visual artifacts.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: no 'text' plugin with ABI version '20070902' loaded

/usr/bin/compiz.real (shift) - Warn: No compatible text plugin loaded.

/usr/bin/compiz.real (thumbnail) - Warn: No compatible text plugin found.
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

/usr/bin/compiz.real (group) - Warn: No compatible text plugin loaded.

/usr/bin/compiz.real (scaleaddon) - Warn: No compatible text plugin found.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter negative (item negative).
/usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter negative-green (item negative-green).
/usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter blueish-filter (item blueish-filter).
/usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter sepia (item sepia).
/usr/bin/compiz.real (colorfilter) - Info: Loading filter grayscale (item grayscale).
Attempted to unregister path (path[0] = org path[1] = freedesktop) which isn't registered
Attempted to unregister path (path[0] = org path[1] = freedesktop) which isn't registered

roanoke@roanoke-laptop:~$

After which I do not get my emerald theme, but the default non-compiz theme with effects.

tommyhakinen
April 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Looks like you need to enable restricted driver for your nVidia Graphics card.

Roanoke
April 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I thought it was. How do I check and/or enable?

tommyhakinen
April 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I am not using nVidia so I am not sure exactly how to. But you can find some clues here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=761476&highlight=Restricted+driver

To check the restricted driver you can do it this way :

Go to System > Administration > Restricted Driver

Roanoke
April 30th, 2008, 02:43 AM
It's on, then.

Ptero-4
April 30th, 2008, 04:21 AM
By what you say. Compiz is already active, what you describe as compiz themes is actually emerald and it's themes. Compiz on gnome by default uses gtk-windows-decorator which uses your normal metacity themes.

acelin
April 30th, 2008, 04:29 AM
yeah Emerald themes are seperate, and allow you to use transparencies. YOu download them, then install them by right clicking the Compiz icon, go to Emerald theme manager, and click install new theme.

Roanoke
April 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Well, I sorta figured that compiz uses metacity by default. My question is how do I make it use emerald? I have already installed emerald and themes. In kde, I can make compiz use emerald.

Ptero-4
April 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM
type emerald --replace in the run dialog.

solid_pranksta
May 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM
i just upgraded too, and i was having the same problems. emerald --replace starts the emerald theme. when i ctrl+c, it stops and goes to no decorations. i know there's a command to run it in the background, but don't remember what it is (i thought &emerald --replace), but i don't remember.

and, where do i say to run this command at startup?

forgive me for not knowing...

bawigga
May 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM
emerald --replace &

This method works for me, but I have the same question. How do you make compiz use emerald by default instead of metacity.

Is there a way to set that from within compiz?

Roanoke
May 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
To run it in the background, type

emerald --replace &
then press ctrl+d

tommyhakinen
May 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
to enable or use the compiz :

compiz --replace

to enable or use the emerald :

emerald --replace

to use the default gnome theme :

metacity --replace

Roanoke
May 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Type

emerald --replace
in the window decorator setting in compiz.