PDA

View Full Version : ***Regarding: 8.04 PLEASE READ***

CaptainLinux94
April 27th, 2008, 02:16 AM
||Precautions to take before moving to 8.04||

To all Ubuntu users(unless you've been an avid beta user of Hardy Heron),

I would reccomend waiting at least 1 month before you switch from your Gutsy Gibbon installation.

All software, when released for the first - even second - time will have bugs that the devs could not see coming; these bugs can be extremely damaging to your system. (Take my word for it when I tried to download EVE-Online premium edition on my Windows desktop, it destroyed by boot.ini and I had to scavenge the house for my old XP CDs)

Trust me, you won't regret waiting. It's always good to let the devs get the kinks out, even after release.

Please adhere my advice unless you really know what you're doing with 8.04,
CL94

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Hardy is a release now and is safe to use. Don't be afraid to install it. Upgrading may cause some issues, but I didn't see any.

Moved to Cafe because there is no support question here.

kamitsukai
April 27th, 2008, 02:34 AM
||Precautions to take before moving to 8.04||

To all Ubuntu users(unless you've been an avid beta user of Hardy Heron),

I would reccomend waiting at least 1 month before you switch from your Gutsy Gibbon installation.

All software, when released for the first - even second - time will have bugs that the devs could not see coming; these bugs can be extremely damaging to your system. (Take my word for it when I tried to download EVE-Online premium edition on my Windows desktop, it destroyed by boot.ini and I had to scavenge the house for my old XP CDs)

Trust me, you won't regret waiting. It's always good to let the devs get the kinks out, even after release.

Please adhere my advice unless you really know what you're doing with 8.04,
CL94

I can see this information being useful on a in between release such as 8.10 but for an LTS release? no, even if there was some mysterious ubuntu problem do you really think they wouldn't of spotted it long ago? especially for such an important release :)

Not meaning to offend in anyway but do you not think your post comes across as maybe slightly big headed? with only 32 posts under your belt and no thanks?

jimrz
April 27th, 2008, 02:38 AM
So, can you explain just how a download you did in XP that hosed your machine leads you to conclude that Hardy is not safe? Methinks that perhaps you should try placing the blame a bit closer to where it likely should be. Perhaps XP or possibly even user error?

Joeb454
April 27th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I think people are mis-interpreting what LTS actually means. It doesn't mean "Rock Solid stability" it just means that it will recieve support for longer than a standard release

gsmanners
April 27th, 2008, 02:42 AM
When will this FUD ever end? Hardy has a few minor cosmetic bugs, if you look really closely. Otherwise it is flawless.

Ghil
April 27th, 2008, 02:42 AM
yes but it has been released, and is not beta anymore. It is always wise to wait a little for any release, but this release, while not being rock solid, is actually quite stable. Upgrade went superbly well and I haven't found anything wrong until then (appart from Firefox wich is buggy and a ressource hog to boot -_-')

kamitsukai
April 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Anyway i still think we should thank the ubuntu team for all the work which has gone into this release instead of complaining about problems that there having...in any case its amazing that there are so few problems

scragar
April 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM
my gutsy upgrade was harder than this, with gutsy I didn't have sound at all for about 2 months, yet hardy worked perfectly, with gutsy I had to use envy to install drivers that worked correctly, yet hardy doesn't even need the restricted drivers to run perfectly. I ruined my testing LAMP server by attempting to make php5-gmp from old instructions, yet hardy offers it in the repo's. All in all I'm finding hardy a complete success,

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 02:52 AM
OP, you're one release (or more) too late. the new release is just fine.

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Everyone use 6.06 instead of a new distro.

dstin1
April 27th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I for one wanted to upgrade when hardy was in beta version but since ubuntu is the only os I use I waited for the stable version to come out and updated the same day. So far I am very happy with it except for a few issues with the firefox beta.

Joeb454
April 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Everyone use 6.06 instead of a new distro.

I :lolflag:'d out loud :oops:

Never mind. I upgraded a couple of PC's when Hardy was beta - it was stable enough for me to run personally :)

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
^that was the smart thing to do since it sounds like that's your only box. i dual boot and use VM's so i grabbed every beta that came out then upgraded. zero issues with the upgrade.

jflaker
April 27th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Not a problem EXCEPT for getting the files......I tried on the day of the release, but only was successful tonight.....and even then it was very slow.

No issues on upgrade.

CaptainLinux94
April 27th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I can see this information being useful on a in between release such as 8.10 but for an LTS release? no, even if there was some mysterious ubuntu problem do you really think they wouldn't of spotted it long ago? especially for such an important release :)

Not meaning to offend in anyway but do you not think your post comes across as maybe slightly big headed? with only 32 posts under your belt and no thanks?

Sorry but your post seems a bit big headed. You cannot measure someone's intelligence in beans or thanks.

That's great, you have almost 400 posts and 4 thanks.... so thats about 1 thanks you received every 100 posts. :lolflag:

I was only trying to help.

I guess I won't try to help anymore, if it keeps leading to posts like yours.

CaptainLinux94
April 27th, 2008, 03:06 AM
So, can you explain just how a download you did in XP that hosed your machine leads you to conclude that Hardy is not safe? Methinks that perhaps you should try placing the blame a bit closer to where it likely should be. Perhaps XP or possibly even user error?

Sorry, let me clear things up; I was using what's called a metaphor, here's a link defining it: metaphor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor)

Here's a kindergarten resources page, I think it might help you: Education is a fine thing, you know (http://www.internet4classrooms.com/kindergarten_links.htm)

I mean, could you seriously not understand that I was comparing major release bugs in other software to hardy heron?

Know that hardy heron is just a bundle of software that communicates with the kernel, so it's a group of software, meaning it can be compared to a single application.

And if you still don't understand my oh-so complicated post... ](*,)

=D>

loell
April 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
not a bad advice. ;)

I just hope this is not because one is frustrated, but rather on observations on fellow users experiences recent install.

CaptainLinux94
April 27th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Hardy is a release now and is safe to use.

Here's a list of threads made because of issues with hardy:

Ubuntu Hardy Questions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767967)
ubuntu 8.04 beta (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768004)
Issues with 8.04 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767470)
8.06 - Lag spikes while playing online (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769606)

Will update this list in a few moments, I'm getting hungry.

:)

Joeb454
April 27th, 2008, 03:25 AM
It depends on people's hardware, if they burnt the CD correctly, if the burn failed for any reason.

There are a number of things that can go wrong. For most - I think Hardy works better from a fresh install than Windows

egwest
April 27th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I had a few problems in regards to the upgrade, kept getting error messages, so I just did a clean install, and with the exception of the wifi issue, which I just wandered on over to the Networking & Wireless form and read through and found the answer to the speed problem, everything else is working great, the only problem I have is with the wireless signal strength keeps bouncing up and down between 30% and 60% as where I use to have a 80% to 90% signal before, but I am sure that issue will get resolved before to long.

acelin
April 27th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Here's a list of threads made because of issues with hardy:

Ubuntu Hardy Questions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767967)
ubuntu 8.04 beta (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768004)
Issues with 8.04 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767470)
8.06 - Lag spikes while playing online (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769606)

Will update this list in a few moments, I'm getting hungry.

:)

Obv. you do not know anything. This same thing happens with every release- it is kind of the great thing about open source.

We can fix things that Windows users would never notice.

acelin
April 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I had a few problems in regards to the upgrade, kept getting error messages, so I just did a clean install, and with the exception of the wifi issue, which I just wandered on over to the Networking & Wireless form and read through and found the answer to the speed problem, everything else is working great, the only problem I have is with the wireless signal strength keeps bouncing up and down between 30% and 60% as where I use to have a 80% to 90% signal before, but I am sure that issue will get resolved before to long.

Get new computers. Your Dell isnt very good and Acers are crap- I would know, I have one.

loell
April 27th, 2008, 03:35 AM
We can fix things

oh careful on using "We can" ;)
I would rather say the "Developers may and eventually can"

JT9161
April 27th, 2008, 04:00 AM
(Take my word for it when I tried to download EVE-Online premium edition on my Windows desktop, it destroyed by boot.ini and I had to scavenge the house for my old XP CDs)

How does an issue you had on a Windows PC have anything to with Hardy?

Acers are crap- I would know, I have one.
Whats wrong with Acers? I'm on my Acer laptop right now and it works great.

Riffer
April 27th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I can understand what the OP was trying to say, with any new upgrade for any OS theres bound to be a few bugs, just normal stuff. With Ubuntu you wait a month for these bugs to be ironed out, with MS you wait 6 months to a year for SP1 :P.

Unfortunately the OP choose to relay that info in such a way that implies that there are serious issues that needed to be corrected. And I have to agree with most that Hardy has been an execptionalrelease. With earlier releases I had a list of to do things, like use envy, do a couple tweakings to get sound etc. I found with hardy all I had to do was edit an Alsa config file for sound. Thats it. Other then that rock solid. And yes like most FF has been glitchy for me.

So while the OP's advice may be on the whole good, I believe Hardy is the exception to the rule.

PryGuy
April 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I tried to download EVE-Online premium edition on my Windows desktop, it destroyed by boot.ini and I had to scavenge the house for my old XP CDs)You tried to download a file on your Windows desktop, and it destroyed your boot.ini file?! Hmmm... Well, the last thing you should blame is Ubuntu 'cause it was having a rest peacefully somewhere on your hard drive at that time, it was not even mounted!!!

TeraDyne
April 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I can see where CaptianLinux was going with that metaphor. In other words, expect the unexpected with anything new. It's likely to have bugs that no one saw coming.

Unfortunately, I've already felt the sting of the Heron. My Wacom tablet seems sketchy, I can't use the restricted nVidia drivers (problem with xorg), and KDM crashes any time I log out. Not to mention the fact that the 2.6.24 kernel won't even work on my Dellbuntu. It doesn't even leave a usable error message when it crashes, and can't access the HDD to leave it in a log file.

I'm going back to Gutsy soon. At least it works.

*Note: I've tried both clean installs and upgrades from Gutsy. Both have major problems.

kamaboko
April 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
The following rule applies to ALL software vendors: Ship and fix later. If Canonical were to wait for every bug to be flushed out and fixed before a release, Ubuntu would never see the light of day. Is there a version of Ubuntu that is absolutely bug free? I'd bet no. That said, load it up and run with it. If ya don't like it...delete it.

EdThaSlayer
April 27th, 2008, 05:34 AM
This is good, because I don't even have "real" internet for quite a while.

kevdog
April 27th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I actually think the intention of the original post was quite valid. If everyone thinks Hardy is rock stable (which I was hoping it should have been), you haven't been reading the forums enough. Not even the release of Gutsy was met with this many threads asking for such help (not to mention the Feisty or Edgy releases either!)

Endersum
April 27th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Now, I write this fully knowing I will get poked with some sort of stick or another. I'm a complete noob. So much so I'll bet a dollar that my post number <- is '1' and the slogan under my name is "what the hell is a bean?" or something of that sort. I'm not new to computers or proramming, but here's my 2 cents.

I agree with the original poster, as he was (IMHO) making a precautionary statement directed at the newer (i.e. ME) members of the forum. And He has a point. I downloaded HH and wrote the ISO to CD and loaded er up. Or not. There is a bug in the ISO somewhere between 22% and 23%. That's all the farther I get. It runs from CD just fine. But no loading onto the system. I found this out only after I'd chosen the 'Complete' install. And only after trying it out on my system first, of course. Well. The install being 22.?% finished, I'm missing 22.?% of my GG kernel. So no going back. Alas, is no problems for me, it's something I play with on my Sony now that I've upgraded laptops. But a single system user could be hopping mad right about now I think.

So the point of this post is simply to remind ye gods of the gnome, you titans of the terminal, the uber-ubuntu in you all, that posing a precaution to the more linux retarded among us (Again, this is pointed at myself only) is only a well intended gesture and not a slight to Linux, Ubuntu, or even your Bean factories ;) It's just a heads up to new users. I think the point he was trying to make with the eve/windows/boot.ini analogy was give noobs a base point that was familiar to base his precaution on.

Alright, my 2 cents has turned into a buck and I'll sign out, but Kudos and thanks to the OP, as I believe "I" was the audience intended.

~Endersum

seshomaru samma
April 27th, 2008, 05:56 AM
+1

I agree with the OP
I myself have been with Ubuntu since Breezy , but I will wait a few weeks before upgrading and that's what I will recommend all my friends,

Tundro Walker
April 27th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Before buying Vista, wait for SP1 to show up ... oh, wait, I mean ... before upgrading Ubuntu, wait at least 1 month after ...

Pffftt...

I upgraded and it went just fine. I even used the Update Managers distro upgrade option instead of doing a re-install, and it all went fine. Only issue I had was having to reinstall a bunch of stuff I got rid of when I "broke" the "ubuntu-desktop" package (to get rid of stuff like Ekiga and such which I don't use.) Haven't had any issues with upgrade, and, in fact, it seems like Ubuntu is zippier now with Hardy than it was with Gutsy.

pbpersson
April 27th, 2008, 07:03 AM
If someone is doing an upgrade instead of a fresh install, if they do not have any time to fool around fixing things, if they are doing work and need to be up and running immediately.....yes, they should wait a while.

On the other hand, when Gutsy came out I just innocently clicked on "upgrade" somewhere on my machine and it all worked - I didn't even realize I was walking into a world of mystery and intrigue.

Come to think of it, I don't even think I did a backup of my data before I did that! :o

gsmanners
April 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I've never seen this much FUD before, but then again Microsoft is bleeding money lately and people are starting to get wise. It's only natural that the shills are being pressed to scream as loudly as they can before they run out of funding.

This is pathetic. Come on, you trolls. You can lie a lot better than this, can't you?

mrgnash
April 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I actually think the intention of the original post was quite valid. If everyone thinks Hardy is rock stable (which I was hoping it should have been), you haven't been reading the forums enough. Not even the release of Gutsy was met with this many threads asking for such help (not to mention the Feisty or Edgy releases either!)

Maybe that is because the uptake of Hardy is higher. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of support threads increases with each new release -- in fact, I hope that would be the case.

But the point remains, that most people are going to encounter few, if any, issues with a Hardy upgrade/install.

bcnaat
April 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I do agree with the original poster. If you aren't installing fresh, or have a second partition set up for testing, then you may want to wait. I love love the speed and stability of Hardy, however, I do need to be able to hear the sound and see flash play. Not for youtube or other websites, but because I have customers that want flash photo galleries, web sites, etc and I have to develop those on my computer.

I went back and tried a fresh install (upgraded on the 20th to Hardy, then updated many times up until the release) and the sound issue was resolved and the flash issue was only partially resolved.

I had another issue that I never dreamed would happen, but for some reason the first clean install used my usb drive as the mount point even though I had it all set up to install on my hard drive. The only way I could stop it the next time is to unhook the usb drive, then I couldn't boot into windows after that because of the original mistake (probably an oversight on my part).

As the original poster and others have stated - be prepared for a few glitches, do checksums on what you download before AND after burning to cd, etc so that your install goes smoothly. And please be patient with those who have contributed so much to this project either through their programming or with helping us get our systems up and running or tweaked out to our liking. Hardy is truly awesome as it is, and when a few minor unforeseen glitches are worked out the updates will come and all will be running smoothly again!

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Installing a new OS, whatever it is, should be done with caution. No matter how stable it is, there is a chance there will be problems, technical and user based.

This thread brings up no real issues with 8.04, like a serious bug, so the exact same advise that is valid for all other OS's applies.

Thread Closed.