PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sluggish Heron

fhmanas
April 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I just did a clean install of Hardy Heron from Gutsy. It seems to me that Hardy is sluggish compared to either Gutsy or Feisty. EVen worse if you upgrade a Gutsy to Hardy, the whole system just slows down, which is the reason I did the fresh install. Also, fonts are not as nice as it was in Gutsy, what happened. Apps like Login Window, Network, etc either open up a minute or 2 after or go to a black hole. Applets on the panel disappear and reappear, my trash outlet keeps disappearing and reappearing (I combined both upper and lower panels) Firefox 3 does not want to cooperate, tabs either open or close. My ipod is not anymore recognized by banshee which was resolved in gutsy in the Removable Drives and Media, but now the Ipod icon is not there, even choosing it in Nautilus->Preference->Media does not work.

What gives, this is suppose to be an improvement.

malangaman
April 27th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Posts like yours encourage me to wait to move up to Heron. I ask myself, what's wrong with Gutsy? Am I happy with it? Does it run well? The answer is it's great, so why change? My system purrs like a kitten with Ubuntu 7.10.

andycrofts
April 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Totally agree. My upgraded system's slow as a dog now. It's like moving from XP to Vista. Even typing this message, I get a few seconds delay before the characters show up.
What on earth has happened? Even with only Firefox and a terminal, my load average is over 4!!!:confused:

Gannin
April 28th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I just upgraded to 8.04 today, and I totally agree that the fonts are much worse. In fact, I'm going to go post a new thread about it and my other issues now. This is all quite discouraging.

piousp
April 28th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Sorry to hear that guys. Just to let you know, my systems is way faster with Heron than with Feisty/Gutsy

wirianto
April 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM
It was sluggish on mine also. What's annoyed me the most is the desktop theme keep switching back and forth between human interface theme and some other theme when something happened on the gui.

Gannin
April 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I know that not everyone is experiencing this, but based on this and other threads, a lot of people are. I wonder if the Ubuntu team is going to specifically address the slowness / font issues, or if they're just going to pretend that the people experiencing these issues don't even exist and ignore the whole thing.