PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Accidentially deleted nautilus?

kbar78
April 27th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Hello, I recently installed Linux on an older gateway laptop because all the bloat from windows was really slowing it down. I installed LinuxMint version 4, which is a distro that's largely based on ubuntu gutsy gibbon except for a few minor modifications to the desktop interface. Anyway, I ran into some trouble getting the sound to work and I accidentally added a hardy heron repository, thinking a new update might cure a compatibility issue with the soundcard. The updates from hardy included the latest version of Gnome, which seems to have fux0red Nautilus. The system boots up fine and I can launch programs using gnome-do, but I cannot access any files through the file-browser, nor do I have a desktop background and none of the panel menus work.

I'm fairly sure re-installing nautilus and/or downgrading gnome would solve this, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Any and all insight into this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

catalina
April 27th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Hi,

What I would suggest is making a backup of your home directory using "Home User backup/restore" to an external drive or make an image of it and then doing a re-install and restoring your home directory. Before you restore your home directory your could rename it "homebackup" that way it won't overwrite your "new" home directory.

It seems like there are too many variables to consider in restoring nautalis. If you don't have very much in your home directory reformatting might be the quickest way to get going (I've become an expert at it!).

Take Care,
Dean.