PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Upgrade Failed - Help recovering system?

Baphijmm
April 27th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Below is the error I got when the upgrade stopped:

Could not install the upgrades
The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unstable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure a).

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.
installArchives() failed

Upon restarting, the computer doesn't recognize a file system at all. fsck died with exit status 8, and it tells me to repair the file system manually.

This has been the worst upgrade experience I've yet had with Ubuntu, and, if I cannot get it back up and running again, I will be forced (but not by much, I'm already 3/4 of the way to doing this already at this point, due to this frustration) to seek out another operating system. This is ridiculous.

Baphijmm
April 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Fixed it by editing /etc/fstab, at least for the time being. That really shouldn't be necessary though, and it should be something that is either warned about or fixed next time.

dmez01
April 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm having a similar problem where it won't finish upgrading and says that my system is in an unstable state. What did you edit in the /etc/fstab file that fixed it?