PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thank You Ubuntu Team

bmac
April 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I wish to express my appreciation to the Ubuntu team for a seamless and functional upgrade. The only issue I experienced was a centering of my log-in screen due to a virtual xorg.conf setting. Once that was resolved my entire system functioned perfectly. I ran windows for many years and have never experienced an upgrande without issue. This is my second upgrade (starting with Fiesty) over the last year and both have been painless. The new functionality and easy of operation in Hardy is welcomed....
:KS:KS:KS :KS:KS

obidose
April 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM
That post makes a welcome change on this forum. Glad you got it all running smoothly.

rfruth
April 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
HH works great (better than XP IMO) thanks !

Vorian Grey
April 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM
It's nice to hear some positive feedback, for a change.

catalina
April 27th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Ubuntu Team,

Another horn blown in your direction! I upgraded seamlessly on my Evo laptop. I love the usability of Ubuntu and am getting people in my community to make the switch. I am so passionate about it I am going to create a computer lab (Edubuntu, about 30 terminals) in my church for homeschoolers, after school programs and try to start a "Live Linux Community" in my city to get people acquainted with Linux and create a "Physical Community" of Ubuntu users.

If anyone has any experience in doing this I would love some feedback/suggestions.

Again, thank you to all the people who have made this OS a success.

Dean.

petteriIII
April 27th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Likevise, zillion thanks.

shankariyer
April 27th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I totally agree. The upgrade was "100 % flawless". Before upgrading my system, I did think that I should be prepared for the worst case scenario. Thought I'd postpone the upgrade to weekend, to keep several hours. But couldn't resist the temptation.

The only issue ( not much of an issue but ) was the connectivity to the upgrade servers - it was slow, understandably many would have been impatient like me...

But once it was upgraded, boy oh boy it worked/still works flawless. Even my compiz setup ( ATI Redeon 1600 Card ) was intact and it works just fine.

So is the different partitions of XP and my un-formatted SATA disk ( many report to have problems with Hardy ) is visible.

Wonderful job guys, deeply appreciate your time & work. Ubuntu Rocks!

martrn
April 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Good to hear others have positive news and how painless it was. I upgraded too and it while it wasn't completely 100%, for me it was certainly 99 % flawless. The new functionality and operation of hardy is welcomed by me too.

I would also like to express my appreciation to the Ubuntu team !
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

bmac
April 28th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Hopefully, more of us had a positive experience. Watching the boards indicates that many did not. This must be extremely discouraging to the team and I for one hope the team realizes that most of the dedicated Ubuntu users are very pleased with their efforts.

Many times in life an attempt to improve or modify something results in the creation of other issues that were not anticipated. One observation that should improve their disposition is the fact that many individuals were so excited about the release they installed immediately upon release. It actually took me an entire day to download and install, due to the servers be hit so hard. But just like many others, I couldn't wait (the kid in me).

Please don't get discouraged, I for one am here for the duration and don't believe I'm alone.

I only wish to reiterate my appreciation for never again needing "that other OS" and for all your efforts in assuring I never will.

Keep up the great work...

shankariyer
April 28th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Do this math for a second...

Hardware Vendors + Hardware Components + Installation Choices + Outcome

To expect 'perfect' installation, is un-realistic. It really is. But guess what, I can
see Ubuntu shining to have 'near perfection'.

And more than that, the fact that this forum is filled with many knowledgeable
techies, who sometimes suggest solution in seconds and equally the fact this
forum is filled with invaluable pointers, actually should be 'assuring' to those
who face problems to seek guidance and be assured that it'd be addressed
and most likely solved.

Linux has grown this much due to 'collaboration'. Set aside the installation/
configuration/debugging frustration and lets 'discuss the problem' !

igfud
April 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
HH works great (better than XP IMO) thanks !

I second that comment. I did a fresh install instead of upgrading; everything went perfectly.

I also want to thank the many helpful members of the UbuntuForums. They are always helpful in answering any questions, and the thread archives are an invaluable source of help.

All for free, too! :guitar: What's the catch? :D

igfud