PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to be on the down-low for the next few weeks..

kevdog
April 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Yes, well I think I'm going to hide in a cave for a while or two. This sudden new influx of users is really overwhelming. Particularly those who like to generalize their solutions and claim their solution should apply toward everyone.

I've been PM'd with many personal help requests and asked to join a lot of user groups from people I don't even know.

The community is great. But everyone needs to understand that a community means no one gets special attention or lack of attention. That means post your problem in a thread and wait for other to respond. The more info you give that about your problem (hardware, setup, where the software was obtained), the more likely you are to get help.

Please do not claim as I've seen that many of the older solutions do not work -- They do!!! Its very arrogant to think otherwise.

sports fan Matt
April 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I completely understand...I wish you well and hope everything settles down :)

aimran
April 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Why is it that they assume you're knowledgeable with regards to solutions? I would assume by the number of beans you have.

southernman
April 27th, 2008, 12:46 AM
The really sad part Kevdog and you mentioned it in another thread, if people would just search and use a little common sense, the bulk of those problems could be solved quickly and painlessly. Heck, when I first started, I didn't even have to search this forum... Google would tell me which thread the solution may reside in.

Those that have a little seat time on this forum, know the cycle. Getting used to it, or making it easier to bare is another thing.

*sighs*

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 12:55 AM
it'll never go away, may as well get used to it.

Patsoe
April 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
The really sad part Kevdog and you mentioned it in another thread, if people would just search and use a little common sense, the bulk of those problems could be solved quickly and painlessly. Heck, when I first started, I didn't even after to search this forum... google would tell me which thread the solution may reside in.

Those that have a little seat time on this forum, know the cycle. Getting used to it, or making it easier to bare is another thing.

*sighs*

The problem with searching is that you need to have enough knowledge of the problem you're dealing with to select good search keywords. And ditto to grasp if the thread you find applies to your problem.

To add a rant of my own: troubleshooting all the Broadcom wifi problems feels like helping them sell more unsupported hardware. Maybe we should just set up a "how to replace your wifi chip" tutorial and send everyone there instead.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 01:21 AM
The problem with searching is that you need to have enough knowledge of the problem you're dealing with to select good search keywords. And ditto to grasp if the thread you find applies to your problem.

this forum makes it super simple for people though, with the feature that brings up previous posts that are related (i forget exactly what it says), but i've not seen another forum with that feature. whoever is behind this forum has made things as simple as i could imagine it could be.

fact is, people are lazy. add to that people get frustrated and they just want an answer and don't want to do any searches. like i said, this will never change. you can either handle it during the influx of new members in the wake of a new release or you can't. pretty simple.

Lostincyberspace
April 27th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Not any more though hope fully it will be back soon though.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 01:34 AM
what.

madjr
April 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Yes, well I think I'm going to hide in a cave for a while or two. This sudden new influx of users is really overwhelming. Particularly those who like to generalize their solutions and claim their solution should apply toward everyone.

I've been PM'd with many personal help requests and asked to join a lot of user groups from people I don't even know.

The community is great. But everyone needs to understand that a community means no one gets special attention or lack of attention. That means post your problem in a thread and wait for other to respond. The more info you give that about your problem (hardware, setup, where the software was obtained), the more likely you are to get help.

Please do not claim as I've seen that many of the older solutions do not work -- They do!!! Its very arrogant to think otherwise.

i propose that a novice user with less than 10 beans can't ask a question in Main Support Categories http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=327

Unless they do at least 1 search and pass a series of filters before they can post a question or help request.

Also, i do not really get why we have both the support forums and https://answers.launchpad.net/

southernman
April 27th, 2008, 02:10 AM
you can either handle it during the influx of new members in the wake of a new release or you can't. pretty simple.With all due respect:

Would that be "simple" as in:

Watching footage of an actual war taking place on the TV? Yelling for your buddy to chunk ya another beer wondering why they don't show more than cleavage during commercial breaks.

OR

Actually engaged in that war... on the front lines? Yelling at a buddy for more ammo as the enemy closes in fast and you just emptied your last clip.

Bad analogy perhaps... Just curious.

Maybe it's like seeing a group of bikers fueling up their hogs and you wisely ask them... "How come you ride a Harley?" When the sneer at you and abruptly say... "If we have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand!" You then just walk off scratching your head and ponder their reply.

Only having been there, done that, would your remark make sense or be justified.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 02:15 AM
sure thing, buddy. you can always turn off your pm's too. if you feel overwhelmed that you have the burden of helping all these people, then you need to make changes.

XVII
April 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM
sure thing, buddy. you can always turn off your pm's too. if you feel overwhelmed that you have the burden of helping all these people, then you need to make changes.

Don't be a troll.

SuperSon!c
April 27th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Don't be a troll.

i'm not trolling, kid, i'm replying to his post. go away.

Tundro Walker
April 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
i propose that a novice user with less than 10 beans can't ask a question in Main Support Categories http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=327

Unless they do at least 1 search and pass a series of filters before they can post a question or help request.

Also, i do not really get why we have both the support forums and https://answers.launchpad.net/

Actually, I think this is an example of why Kevdog is heading for the hills for a while. He (and others) are just tired of new folks showing up and telling everyone how things should be.

"I think Ubuntu should have XYZ as the release schedule"
"I think Ubuntu should have XYZ as the priorities for the next release (usually revolving around more eye candy)"
"I think ..."

Folks, it's been said plenty of times before, which is a paradox, because we're right back to the "please search the forums" issue. But, when you kick off a post, the forum does a search for you based on your post title. I still think there's just a lot of lazy folks, though.

You're getting something for FREE, and yet some of these new-comers show up here with a feeling of entitlement ... as if "it's free, so you should be thankful I'm even trying out your stupid little OS ... now help me since I have an issue, ASAP!"

Yeah, that pretty much sums up why I just hang out in the cafe...because my cynicism would probably drive away more new-comers than it would help them.

madjr
April 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
But, when you kick off a post, the forum does a search for you based on your post title. I still think there's just a lot of lazy folks, though.

that clearly doesn't work.

Most post titles are too generic like this:

NEED HELP!!

AM NEW, SOMEONE PLS ARGHH!!

MY HARDWARE NOT WORKING!!

because we're right back to the "please search the forums" issue.

"please" search??

why ask them to search, when we could have a system in place with some filters, so they are forced to make a search in the database.

Just in case you do not find an answer by searching the database, then you can ask for Human (us) support.

With each new release it's just going to get worse. Ubuntu is just getting too easy to try and install.

spamzilla
April 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
You guys should have seen the hardy dev forum before a new milestone release. So many people kept asking how do they upgrade from alpha 1 to alpha 2 and so on. If they just did a bloody search, they would find 949458678390 threads on how to upgrade.

(New) Users need to be educated on how to use the search feature to see if someone has already had the same problem (which someone most likely has) and see if there is a fix before making an inevitable useless post which tells us nothing about thier problem.

That is one reason why I NEVER go in the beginners forum, or any other help forum for that matter (well apart from the *new release* dev forum). People expect to be given answers within minutes of posting, they don't help themselves by searching or posting useful posts and you rarely get a thank you after you have solved their problem.

Maybe a group of people need to get together and try to educate people on how to use the search feature?

scouser73
April 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Thats a bit harsh I think, new users who have come from Windows are looking for people to help them, it's not too much to ask, is it? I do agree that they should at least search too, but the forum is here for helping people.

cb951303
April 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
to the thread owner: from
your post count I can tell that you're an experienced linux user. That's why you should know that forums are the same since very long time. By 2004 linuxquestions.org was exactly like this. actually it was even worse there since it's dedicated to more than one big distro. The solution to your problem(!) is to not try to help everyone. They will learn by time that a simple search can answer a lot of their questions.
It's not by any means an advice, I just wanted to point out my experience...

cheers :popcorn:

Nano Geek
April 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM
But remember also that we were all new members once and did the same things that new users now are doing. In other words, we were (and maybe sill are) as annoying as some of them. ;)

loell
April 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM
But remember also that we were all new members once and did the same things that new users now are doing. In other words, we were (and maybe sill are) as annoying as some of them. ;)

uhmm, not really ;)

if you've traced the beginnings of those who are now helping patiently and "regularly" at great volumes. most of them were just patiently waiting for answers too.