PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 7.10 install issues - APIC

boyce1
April 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I've just tried to install gutsy, from a clean install

the first error was

"[4294672.157000] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC"

from the cd install, so i added in the install command line "noacip" and that seemed to fix it. The install completed without a problem.

However, i rebooted my computer, and it came back up with the not connect to io-apic error.

i figured i'd have to use the command again, so i edited the grub boot thing, and put noapic in:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=c9cff81f-f1cf-4cb1-->

i then press enter, then 'b' to boot. it seems ok, i don't get the APIC error, except the Ubuntu startup page seems to freeze. a tiny bit of the bar is there, but nothing happens :(

i tried going into the terminal, and saw the line "...sbin/modprobe 'abormal exit'.

then i am stuck :)

i have no idea what to do/try now, im not that experienced with linux. i would really appreciate any help, thanks.

eyelessfade
April 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
"acpi" :)

Just one question, why gutsy? Hardy just came out. Try that to see if your problems have gone away

boyce1
April 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
The amount of problems i have seen about Hardy, lets get the more stable version working first :)

I heard ASUS motherboards create a lot of problems for Linux? It won't let me disable ACPIC in BIOS, i don't know what to do :(

eyelessfade
April 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Ok try to edit your grub again. set noacpi, and remove the "splash" and "quiet" part and boot

if and when it hangs again, post the output.

boyce1
April 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM
its working ok so far,

before splash, i put "noapic acpi=off", and it loaded up fine.

this is ok now, however occasionally the ubuntu wont load up and i'll have to restart.

apart from that, alls good :)

rahelvey
April 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I do hate to sound stupid but so be it.
Where and at what point do I put in noacpi acpi=off?

eyelessfade
April 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
when grub starts, press Escape to get the menu.
then "e" for edit. at the end of the line you put your no=acpi then enter and "b" (make it permanent with editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

or from the bootcd you write something like ubuntu(not sure press F1-F4 to check) and at the end you write your noacpi

boyce1
May 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
i tried many ways of getting it to work, but the best way was to:

press ESC to enter grub boot

in the main system thing, press 'e' and put "noapic apci=off" in the line before 'splash'.

then press enter, then 'b' to boot.