PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with upgrade..

killer_d76
April 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM
i have a laptop that i dual boot Ubuntu 7.10 with window$ (my wife is using this for her office work).. since 8.04 is out, and i was able to download and burn .iso on dvd, what i wanted to do is to is uninstall 7.10 and replace it with 8.04 without deleting window$ (or else.. this means WAR!)

obidose
April 26th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Can you not just upgrade from the update manager?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

killer_d76
April 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
thanks for the quick reply obidose, yes, i did that but it always brings me to downloading package part wherein it would take "2days and 3hours" :confused:

obidose
April 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Yes I think the servers are a little flooded at the moment.

I am not confident enough with partitions to say this with confidence but I think if you just booted the live CD 8.04. Used the partition editor to wipe you current home partition, and replace it with a clean one. Then just used the desktop install icon. Follow manual partitioning as they should allready be set up and hey presto.

I am assuming that grub is your bootloader and it will be automatically dealt with during the installation.

I think that would work anyway, little back up from somebody more knowledgeable might be good though.

killer_d76
April 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
i tried installing it as well and what hardy tried to do is add 8.04 on the system!, and i would end up is triple boot system! window$, 7.10 and 8.04! :(, but i does give an option to manually partition it, but i don't know what i'm going to do there!, and i don't know which partition to delete!:)