PDA

View Full Version : What do you suggest as a nautilus replacer?

legolas_w
April 26th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hi,
I saw some posts that was about nautilus and PCMan File Manager.
It made me ask about other file managers that can be used instead of nautilus.
for sure I am talking about a good and decent one like Konqueror or something with good integration with Gnome.

If you know all file manages, please add a poll to this thread or let me know the names and I will add the poll.

Thank you.

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thunar (GTK, and light)
mc (full featured, more powerful and faster than any other)

tamoneya
April 26th, 2008, 10:55 PM
only the original poster is able to add a poll to a thread. I am not an expert in file explorers since I am fairly satisfied with nautilus. I have heard many good things about thunar. It is very light weight and integrates fairly nicely with gnome.

Mazza558
April 26th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Thunar is very nice.

Changturkey
April 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Pcmanfm?

gn2
April 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Thunar gets my vote.

chris4585
April 27th, 2008, 12:16 AM
one of my favorites is rox-filer, it takes some getting use to though, probably not what you're looking for, there's also emelfm2

emelFM2 is a file manager that implements the popular two-pane
design. It features a simple GTK+2 interface, a flexible file
typing scheme, and a built-in command line for executing commands
without opening an xterm.

cardinals_fan
April 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM
+1 for Thunar

Midnight Commander just for nostalgia.

D-EJ915
April 29th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Thunar is great, so is PCManFM, but I like thunar better because it shows me what dimension images are when I click on them.

Mateo
April 29th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I don't like the way Thunar handles the desktop.

D-EJ915
April 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I don't like the way Thunar handles the desktop.
I didn't know it did a desktop?

chris4585
April 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I didn't know it did a desktop?

Yep, look in preferences, xfce4's desktop icons are generated by Thunar

aidanr
April 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Yep, look in preferences, xfce4's desktop icons are generated by Thunar

Nope, xfdesktop does that.
+1 for Thunar.

Quillz
April 29th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I've actually never used any file manager other than Konqueror on KDE and Nautilus on GNOME. What makes Thunar better/worse than Nautilus?

gn2
April 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
What makes Thunar better/worse than Nautilus?

Faster.

BluntBox
April 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
+1 for Thunar, I don't like desktop icons so that really is a non issue for me.

frankos44
April 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Don't be too quick to dismiss Nautilus. It integrates well with gnome desktop and links to other Ubuntu desktops and servers via port 22 locally or remotely seamlessly.

oedipuss
April 30th, 2008, 03:19 AM
So no filemanager using clutter yet ?
Or something else, as long as it's blingy ..

imronak
April 30th, 2008, 03:26 AM
i use nautaulius mainly bcos of the scripts, essentially, "Terminal here".
Can these be used with thumar or mc? I would like to test those and is ther any option to open the folder with sudo in the other filemans, bcos nautilius doesnt have it :(

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Don't be too quick to dismiss Nautilus. It integrates well with gnome desktop and links to other Ubuntu desktops and servers via port 22 locally or remotely seamlessly.

That's the only upside of Nautilus for me... the fact that it can connect to my webserver remotely. As far as I know, Thunar can't do that :( Other than that Thunar all the way.

chris4585
April 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Nope, xfdesktop does that.
+1 for Thunar.

thanks for correcting me

chucky chuckaluck
April 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM
i use nautaulius mainly bcos of the scripts, essentially, "Terminal here".
Can these be used with thumar or mc? I would like to test those and is ther any option to open the folder with sudo in the other filemans, bcos nautilius doesnt have it :(

thunar has 'custom actions' which you can write yourself. i've had open terminal, browse as root, root edit, feh wallpaper and all were easy to do. aysiu has a script on his psychocats site that will make thunar the default FS of gnome instead of nautilus (and another script to make nautilus the default, once again).

heiowge
April 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM
While I can get by with nautilus, I actually liked the windows explorer file manager that XP used.

Are there any file managers for Ubuntu that work the same way? I looked at PCManFM and it didn't seem to offer the explorer-style tree in the left panel.

Any ideas?

aeiah
April 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
While I can get by with nautilus, I actually liked the windows explorer file manager that XP used.

Are there any file managers for Ubuntu that work the same way? I looked at PCManFM and it didn't seem to offer the explorer-style tree in the left panel.

Any ideas?

err, thunar (http://thunar.xfce.org/images/filewindow-6.png)? :p

Wobedraggled
April 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thunar Thunar Thunar cats go....