PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 Installation on Dell Optiplex 330

MartinOpatrny
April 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the installation on Dell Optiplex 330? I have had some problems with using my printer HP Deskjet 500. It can be configured but hangs at the beginning of the page when printing. It only prints the first few lines and then it stops. It takes ages to print some more or it stops altogether.

I have had the similar problems with the latest Knoppix 5.5.1 and Mepis 7.0 on the same Optiplex 330. I have only been trying it with the live CDs, not installing anything.

The Deskjet 500 is now 16 years old but it keeps working very well and I have had no problems using it with Windows 2000, XP and older versions of Linux on older machines.

I shall be very happy to receive some help.

Regards,
Martin

wandalalakers
April 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I don't have this printer but trying using a hp deskjet 400, 510 or 520 driver.
Try selecting use raw printer driver only and see what happens.

MartinOpatrny
April 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Thank you, PCDoctor.

What do you mean by "raw printer driver"? The closest I could find was Generic => Raw_Queue. I've tried it. It hangs as well and prints gibberish, unfortunately. What problems have you encountered with your printers?

Meanwhile, I have received some help from elsewhere. The new suggestion is to install hplip and hplip-gui, which is a set of drivers with a human interface for nearly all HP printers, and configure the printer using this hplip. It looks promising. They are explicitly specified for Ubuntu 8.04, among others.

I did install the hplip (using the live CD), but when I enter hplip at the command prompt (or hplip-gui, or sudo hplip, or sudo hplip-gui), nothing happens. So far, all other programs which I have installed "on-the-fly") using the ubuntu live CD user interface or apt-get at the command prompt could be started by entering their name at the command prompt. Why not with hplip?

Who can help me?

Regards,
Martin