PDA

View Full Version : Prefixes on the programming section?

Can+~
April 26th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Not to sound impatient, but the reason why we weren't writing our own prefixes was, that the new vBulletin would come with it's own. And now we have it :KS.

But mostly, I have questions on how to implement it, it will be separated by Languages? That seems the most rational thing, but there a huge amount of languages out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages), and sometimes there are questions about GTK, OpenGL, SDL; things that are language-independant.

Maybe using a "most popular" selection and throwing everything else into the "Others" bin?

Any thoughts?

(PD: a [Flame Wars] and a [Challenge] tag would be awesome)

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Not to sound impatient, but the reason why we weren't writing our own prefixes was, that the new vBulletin would come with it's own. And now we have it :KS.

But mostly, I have questions on how to implement it, it will be separated by Languages? That seems the most rational thing, but there a huge amount of languages out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages), and sometimes there are questions about GTK, OpenGL, SDL; things that are language-independant.

Maybe using a "most popular" selection and throwing everything else into the "Others" bin?

Any thoughts?

(PD: a [Flame Wars] and a [Challenge] tag would be awesome)

I already have the PT prefixes suggested. I will find them and post them here for suggestions. They haven't been implemented yet fully. There is a lot to do.

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Programming Talk:

(I made this list a while ago)

Tools
Languages
Web
Algorithms
Structures
Shell
Assembly
C
C++
C#
D
Java
Lisp
Perl
PHP
Python
Ruby
Tcl
GTK+
QT
Tk
wxWidgets
Multimedia
FAQ
n/a

nhandler
April 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Well, for the time being, we can add our own prefixes manually to the title of the threads. This will allow users to quickly scan the forum for threads about a certain language. We can also add tags to our threads that specify the language. The tags will allow us to search for threads about a certain language.

The only benefit of having true prefixes is that it will cause many more users to add the prefix to their threads. It also eliminates the need to add the language as a tag (since you can search based on prefixes).

@LaRoza: You forgot a prefix for Bash scripts.

Can+~
April 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Great list, I would like to add my own:

Algorithms
Bash
Challenge
LaTeX
Structures
Old school

Algorithms : Some problems on programming are completely language-independent, and are more about solving a problem.

Structures : Maybe it could be implicit on the algorithms, or both be joined into one; structures is about choosing Lists, Queues, Stacks, Trees, etc.

Challenge : Programming challenges.

I may add more as I think of them.

edit1: Cheater beat me to add "Bash" :(.
edit2: Old school; edited out, bad example.
edit3: Added Programming Challenges.
edit4: LaTeX

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
edit2: Old school; Languages like FORTRAN, that are on their way to extinction (sorry Fortran guys (if any)).

Really? Fortran 2008 is coming out. Fortran is the most used language in super computers.

I think your facts need some straightening.

Can+~
April 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Really? Fortran 2008 is coming out. Fortran is the most used language in super computers.

I think your facts need some straightening.

I remember seeing one graph about certain programming jobs declining, but anyway, I may be wrong, editing it out..

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I remember seeing one graph about certain programming jobs declining, but anyway, I may be wrong, editing it out..

Well, yeah. How many people get to work on super computers versus in house VB programs?

Lau_of_DK
April 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well, yeah. How many people get to work on super computers versus in house VB programs?

I estimate about 0.021%

nhandler
April 27th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Great list, I would like to add my own:

Algorithms
Bash
Challenge
LaTeX
Structures
Old school

Algorithms : Some problems on programming are completely language-independent, and are more about solving a problem.

Structures : Maybe it could be implicit on the algorithms, or both be joined into one; structures is about choosing Lists, Queues, Stacks, Trees, etc.

Challenge : Programming challenges.

I may add more as I think of them.

edit1: Cheater beat me to add "Bash" :(.
edit2: Old school; edited out, bad example.
edit3: Added Programming Challenges.
edit4: LaTeX

The thing to keep in mind is that currently, threads can only have one prefix. I think the prefix should always be the language the thread pertains to. You can then specify if it is about an algorithm, challenge, or something else in the thread title and/or in tags.

samjh
April 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Programming Talk:

(I made this list a while ago)

Compiling
Tools
Languages
Web Development
Algorithms
Structures
Shell
C
C++
C#
D
Java
Lisp
Perl
PHP
Python
Ruby
Tcl
GTK+
QT
Tk
wxWidgets
OpenGL/SDL
FAQ
n/a

Some of the stuff in that list could be shortened while others are ambiguous.

For example, one could easily mix Tools with Compiling.

Web Development could be shortened to just Web.
OpenGL/SDL could be shortened to Multimedia, which will actually include similar libraries as well as the actual discipline of multimedia programming.

GTK+, wxWidgets and their ilk could be better grouped as GUI.

QT deserves its own probably, as would Boost, another library often talked about here.

Some of the languages don't really deserve their own: D, Tcl, and Tk, are very rarely discussed. I'm not sure if even Lisp should have its own prefix. If they are included, I think Pascal, Assembly, Lua, etc., are as much - if not more - deserving! Posters can simply use [ and ] symbols to prefix less-discussed languages that don't have pre-set prefixes.

N/A shouldn't be there, as it is an exclusive rather than informative. Prefixes should be used to indicate what the content is about, but N/A does not serve that purpose.

However, I'm all for vBulletin-supported prefixes! :)

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
N/A shouldn't be there, as it is an exclusive rather than informative. Prefixes should be used to indicate what the content is about, but N/A does not serve that purpose.

However, I'm all for vBulletin-supported prefixes! :)

There seems to be a requirement that a prefix must be used.

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
For example, one could easily mix Tools with Compiling.

Web Development could be shortened to just Web.
OpenGL/SDL could be shortened to Multimedia, which will actually include similar libraries as well as the actual discipline of multimedia programming.

GTK+, wxWidgets and their ilk could be better grouped as GUI.

QT deserves its own probably, as would Boost, another library often talked about here.

Some of the languages don't really deserve their own: D, Tcl, and Tk, are very rarely discussed. I'm not sure if even Lisp should have its own prefix. If they are included, I think Pascal, Assembly, Lua, etc., are as much - if not more - deserving! Posters can simply use [ and ] symbols to prefix less-discussed languages that don't have pre-set prefixes.
Good ideas, up until Boost. That is C++ ;)

D, Tcl and Tk are rarely discussed, but they are. They deserve their own prefixes I think. The fact that they are rare makes prefixes more useful.