PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] screen has horizontal flickering lines

alicemoon
April 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have just installed Hardy on 2 ccomputers - one a full install which worked perfectly (1st time the wireless worked without any hassle). The other with the wubi on my main computer running XP, all went well with this one as far as I can tell except my screen has broken horizontal flickering lines which makes viewing a pain. When it boots in the screen is fine but as soon as I see the desktop the lines begin to flicker. I have a sony tft lcd screen SDM-HS53 resolution 1024-768 60 hz. I can change resolutions but this does not help. What should I do?

alicemoon
April 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
can anyone help?

alicemoon
July 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Just in case anyone has similar problems - I discovered that it was my graphics card a Sis Mirage 661/741/760 which was the problem - causing the lines and stopping me viewing in anything other than a low resolution. I solved this by editing the xorg conf file

using
gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and adding under video device the line
driver "vesa"

this improved the screen and allowed me to move to 1024 x 768 resolution

benjaminjames
July 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
hello but i cannot find where i should put the line that you suggested could you please explain exactly where i need to put it, im a bit of a noob still :) thanks

alicemoon
July 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I am not an expert at all but this is what I did

open terminal and write

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

it will probably ask you for your password - write it in (you can't see any writing but just put it in and press enter)

this will open an editable file

look down it for a mention of your graphics card or video device (some of the threads I read suggested I would see my graphics card or video card mentioned but all I had was the line video device)

add the line

driver "vesa"

under the video device section.

save the file
be careful not to alter anything else - hope it works for you

dragongntx
July 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am also having a similar problem. I tried this and it says

(gksu:5068): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

alicemoon
July 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I am also having a similar problem. I tried this and it says

(gksu:5068): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

ok I know very little so please check this out yourself - but I think this can happen if you are not running as root - ie you need to type sudo before the commands I have suggested.

Also I found this link which may help http://anaaman.blogspot.com/2007/01/gtk-warning-cannot-open-display.html

don't give up though - it took me ages to figure out what to do as I did not get any answers to my original post and I was having internet connection problems which did not help so I had to keep switching between Ubuntu and XP - but all is well now and it's a good way to learn if a bit of a steep curve - but I am determined to switch over to Ubuntu - and you do feel good when it all finally works :)

Jordananders
March 15th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I tyoe the gksu gedit. . . into the terminal and it asks me for a password and I do that and then I type versa in the new command line and it says that the command is not found.

alicemoon
March 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I tyoe the gksu gedit. . . into the terminal and it asks me for a password and I do that and then I type versa in the new command line and it says that the command is not found.

- that's because the geditcommand should open up your xorg file and enable you to edit it. The line driver "vesa"needs to be added into the xorg file it is not a command you put into terminal.
I wrote these posts when I was running Hardy I am not sure that they will work or if you need to do it with Ibex - I did not have the same screen problems with Ibex.
Be very careful if you alter any files and always keep a backup copy in case things go wrong.