PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to burn iso from livecd

meowman
April 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Hi there,

I am trying to burn the latest ISO image for hardy heron from a livecd and I only have 1 cdrom drive, it doesn't appear to be possible so I appeal to the masters of ubuntu to hopefully come up with some ingenious solution if possible :).

Ok so the situation is I have 3 hard drives all nearly full with data, my boot drive has become corrupted all over the place and I cannot boot from it anymore (either linux or windows). I don't want to reformat that drive just yet because I want to attempt to recover data first. I have a replacement hard drive coming and I will get it on Monday so it's not the end of the world I'm just trying to make something of my weekend. Currently I am in the Feisty Fawn livecd and it's performing fantastic. I was wanting to burn the new hardy heron iso so that I could use it until monday and then use it to install on monday. The problem is that it appears I can't burn cd's from a livecd system. I have tried pressing the eject button on the drive with no response. My system thinks the drive isn't mounted, and I can't mount it either. If I could eject the livecd I could put in a blank cdrom and burn the image file, but I can't seem to eject it. I think there is some sort of safety in which the drive has been locked.

Is there any way of accomplishing this?

Thanks in advance

obidose
April 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Can't remove the live cd while using it. Your whole operating system is running from it.

Best solution I can think of is to download a mini distro and stick it on a USB stick. You can then boot from the usb stick and burn the new hardy live CD from there.