PDA

View Full Version : Goin' Back to Hoary

~zoey~
October 16th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I love ubuntu but I should have left well enough alone! :(

I installed breezy and have been unable to get rhythmbox to play using the live 365 website music, although it worked 'out of the box' with hoary.
I have tried suggestions in this forum to no avail. I added gstreamer* after enabling universe and updating.

Soundjuicer, which worked just fine in hoary, worked in breezy, but it had my hard drive thrashing like mad and the cpu usage was up to 98%.

So it is back to hoary for me:rolleyes:

zoey

peterbrowne
October 16th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I think I need to try Hoary too... my system crashes at random times, firefox and limewire are unstable, is there any easy way to do this (apt-get ...?) or do I have to do a full reinstall :(

aysiu
October 16th, 2005, 04:00 AM
I have to say Breezy seems a bit buggy. I started using Hoary very shortly after it was released, and I don't remember it having this many glitches. I hope they all get ironed out soon. People are having repository and automount problems, among other things.

xequence
October 16th, 2005, 04:31 AM
There is a thread similar to this. That probably means many people are having these problems...

It works great for me I must say. Except for there being 200 MB of upates in two days, I have no problems. That might just be the fact I am using a debian repo, which I have to remind myself to delete...

bvc
October 16th, 2005, 04:36 AM
live 365 works here in breezy's rhythmbox

mstlyevil
October 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I am listening to Van-Halen radio on live 365 right now on Breezy Kubuntu. I did a fresh install from the final release cd though.

erikpiper
October 16th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Breezy is MORE stable than hoary for me!

You have to do a fresh install in my opinion. I did, and have no problems. :)

Goober
October 16th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I find Breezy more stable actually, except for Firefox occaisaionally crashing, but that hasn't occurred since the final release came out. I dist-upgraded Hoary from Warty, and I found it to be slow at times, and I simply had too much stuff installed that I didn't need. I find that by doing a fresh start with Breezy, things are faster again.

I've yet to have any program not work with breezy (had minor difficulties with my printer, but got that sorted out), so, personally, I find Breezy just as stable as Hoary, and has many better features.

Sykil
October 16th, 2005, 05:31 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble with Rhythmbox, too. Loading my /Music/ folder takes longer---it seems to 'stop' inbetween folders---and crashes. I have to do each folder individually, and it's really annoying. I'm not sure if that's a problem with 0.9 or with Breezy...

az
October 16th, 2005, 05:38 AM
If anyone had to do acrobatics to get sound working in Hoary, they must undo those things for breezy (like auto-spawning of ESD and so forth)

TravisNewman
October 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble with Rhythmbox, too. Loading my /Music/ folder takes longer---it seems to 'stop' inbetween folders---and crashes. I have to do each folder individually, and it's really annoying. I'm not sure if that's a problem with 0.9 or with Breezy...
that's been a problem for ages now. It's a matter of having files in your music folder that aren't music files. For example, any text files or album art you have will make it hang up.

I can't promise that this is the case, it may have been worked out since. But that's what it sounds like.

Sykil
October 16th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Well, yeah---it does give me those silly errors (not readable or something), but it didn't do that in 0.8.2 (I think that was the version in Hoary :x). When I used it in Hoary, it was continuous.

zenwhen
October 16th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Other than Nautilus still being the very unstable mess it has always been, Breezy is fine for me here.

mstlyevil
October 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Other than Nautilus still being the very unstable mess it has always been, Breezy is fine for me here.

Use Kubuntu and you do not have to deal with nautilus. ;)

Kimm
October 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I find breezy quite stable, but its buggy as ***, my graphics card wount work well anymore, general graphics like windows and so forth works nicely, but games just lagg as nothing has lagged before.
My Rythmbox wount play anything at all and if I will X gdm crashes and I have to restart the computer.

Nautilus is the least of my problems, it realy never crashes, unless I use Java software since I have low ram. Far better then Konqueror anyway.

ubuntu_demon
October 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
breezy is more stable and less buggy for me

Maybe a future backport will solve the rythmbox problems some people are having.

zenwhen
October 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Use Kubuntu and you do not have to deal with nautilus. ;)

No thanks. K3B is the only thing I like about KDE. Even a crashy Nautilus is preferrable to me over Konq.

pinoyskull
October 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM
im quite satisfied with my Breezy ATM, im gonna stick with it till Dapper Drake Final :D

brentoboy
October 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I agree, breezy bit off more than it could chew.

I like some of the new features that showed up in nautilus, and I like where its going, but I dont think it had time to bake.

It seems like with hoarty, the primary focus was getting the hardware to work right out of the box. Breezy seems to have focused on increased package selection and more control apps.

They are all great, but it seems like hardware kind of fell out the focus - which is a shame becuase it was THE reason so many people came to hoarty. of the 5 people I know that tried it, the three that went with it liked it becuase it detected their wireless card, or the sound worked, or the 1400x1050 resolution on their laptop was detected and functional - for the first time in thier linux experience. "It just worked"

I hope breezy is a transitional phase and that the next round will focus back on hardware - that is the one universal need of all linux users - hardware support.

jwb
October 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
It's working great for me. The install was flawless. When I went from warty to hoary, I did the upgrade through apt-get. This time I did a clean install. Don't know if it made a difference, since I had great experiences both times.

I love Ubuntu. First distro that has *never* given me reason to complain. Great work! :D

blastus
October 19th, 2005, 09:40 PM

This is at least one thing that is keeping me from fully switching to Ubuntu. I live inside the file manager and use it extensively. Nautilus 2.12.1 in Breezy crashes ALL THE TIME--like every couple of minutes making it unusable for me. I can't even right-click on some files without it crashing and it doesn't like any kind of navigation (like changing directories, moving up/down a tree etc...), it is just an extremely unstable program.

mrtaber
October 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I'm not questioning your experience with Nautilus. It's just ironic--that's my experience with KDE, so I use Gnome. Perhaps you'd have better luck with KDE?

Mark :)

erikpiper
October 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Or XFCE? It is SUPER fast and stable for me :)

(I don't know what it uses for a file manager...)

poofyhairguy
October 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I agree, breezy bit off more than it could chew.

I hope breezy is a transitional phase and that the next round will focus back on hardware - that is the one universal need of all linux users - hardware support.

It bit off more on purpose. Even since I saw what Breezy was going to be, I called it the "unstable stable release" months before it came. Why? Because it HAD to make HUGE changes, way more than Hoary's switch to xorg, in order for Ubuntu to be ready by Dapper.

Dapper in some ways will be the first real Ubuntu "milestone" release. Mark has said he wanted less big changes for it, a longer freeze cycle, and longer support times. He sees Dapper as the end of the first stage of Ubuntu.

In order for Dapper to be that release, to be more stable and less exciting, Breezy had to do more. Lots of the shifts in Breezy were huge, so its easy to understand if overall the consensus is that its more buggy than Hoary. I saw it comming.

MetalMusicAddict
October 20th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Its whats on the inside that counts with Breezy. :) Dapper will be like a rock. I dont expect much as far as the look of it though. Do you think their iconset will be ready?

Riverside
October 20th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Breezy is MORE stable than hoary for me!

You have to do a fresh install in my opinion.Breezy is absolutely rock solid for me, installed on an IBM ThinkCentre A50p. I had seemingly unresolvable sound issues using Hoary (sound didn't work, and my usual method of quickly and easily getting sound working on that machine using any flavour of *nix by running alsaconf as root wasn't possible as alsaconf is not available with ALSA as packaged by Ubuntu), with the result that I ditched it fairly quickly (sound had "just worked" using Warty oddly enough, and "just works" using Breezy also).

I also carry out clean installs when upgrading any version of Linux or BSD, and find that by far the best way to guarantee (as far as possible) good results.