PDA

View Full Version : Apple iBook users (with Linux installed on it)

dolny
April 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hello.

I haven't been here for a while, but let's get to the matter:

I'm planning to buy an Apple iBook. I don't have the funds to buy a Macbook, and I'd like to buy a computer for translations asap (and I really like the iBooks, even though running Windows on the PPC cpu is suicide - I will need it for CATs - tools for translators). I'll stick to OmegaT until I get a Macbook (or other laptop if I don't like the iBook, but I think I will love it). It's fairly cheap (in Poland Apple products are quite costly), comes with a 14" display, 1,25 GB, if I manage to win the auction ;) and I know I can install Linux on it.

I'm planning to install ArchLinux, as it is faster than Ubuntu (and I switched a long time ago, really like it). I just wanted to know if there are any other iBook users here that have Linux installed on it? Probably I will have some questions etc. It would be nice to share experiences :)

Onyros
April 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hello.

I haven't been here for a while, but let's get to the matter:

I'm planning to buy an Apple iBook. I don't have the funds to buy a Macbook, and I'd like to buy a computer for translations asap (and I really like the iBooks, even though running Windows on the PPC cpu is suicide - I will need it for CATs - tools for translators). I'll stick to OmegaT until I get a Macbook (or other laptop if I don't like the iBook, but I think I will love it). It's fairly cheap (in Poland Apple products are quite costly), comes with a 14" display, 1,25 GB, if I manage to win the auction ;) and I know I can install Linux on it.

I'm planning to install ArchLinux, as it is faster than Ubuntu (and I switched a long time ago, really like it). I just wanted to know if there are any other iBook users here that have Linux installed on it? Probably I will have some questions etc. It would be nice to share experiences :)Hya ;)

I once tried Ubuntu on an old iMac G3, so I suppose it'll work on the G3/G4 iBooks as well... But if you were thinking about it, forget about Arch on an iBook: it's not available for the PowerPC architecture.

Best of luck for the auction :)

edit: nevermind, just looked around and immediately found the ArchLinux ppc version.

dolny
April 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks! :)

Yes, there are some distros that seem to work great on the iBook. I wanted to ask about Wine for example (seems there's no version for ppc, and Darwinia shifted to the Intel cpus after Macbook was released). Fallout on an iBook = sheer coolness, but I doubt it is possible :( Oh well, I'll buy a Macbook in a couple of months so I just have to wait.