PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] My login screen is distorted. Everything in pushed down.

Rytron
April 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi,
Since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04, my login screen seems to be pushed down. Perhaps the resolution is wrong? With some login screens I cant even see the place where I have to input my username and password as these are not visable on the screen, they are pushed down.

My desktop resolution is perfect though.

Any solution?

Thanks.

UncleBark
April 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM
If you have an nVidia card check the bottom of page one in this thread. I had the same problem and this solved it for me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763107

Good luck!

Rytron
April 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi UncleBark,
I used some of the code on that thread you linked to. No luck.

Could you post here the exact code / procedure to use?

Thanks.

graphix1
April 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I tried to up grade to 8.10 using the update feature in 7.10 and I got the same results. My desktop was about 10% of the original. I tried the panning key combinations and it did not work. I had to reinstall 7.10. Here is what I think happed. I too run a Nvidia card and when I first installed ubuntu I had the same problem. But I could pan to get to the various windows to complete the installation.I then went to Nvidia site and got the Linux driver and installed it. I could then leave the default of 800 X 640 and I went to 1024 x 768.It was at this resolution and with the Linux driver as my default I attempted the update.I believe this could be My problem.If the update did not pick up my Linux version of my Nvidia driver and restarted with the default driver at 800 x 640 would this have caused my problem. I could not get to the windows to complete the restart so the pan key commands did not work. I need to get this resoled as I have sent for the CD.I also am a rank beginner in Ubuntu.

mguevrem
April 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Uhm I have the same problem.

I was using Envy as an NVDIA card/driver manager. Before upgrading I had Envy restore the default video driver for Ubuntu. After the booting up in 8.04 I downloaded the latest version of EnvyNG to reinstall my NVIDIA driver.

The login screen is still at the wrong resolution, I can barely see the login window and have no access to the shut down button.

Anyone has a good idea how to fix this? Should it be reported as a bug?

Cheers,

Mguevrem

UncleBark
April 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The code I used was supplied by Fire_chief and it worked.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo nvidia-xconfig

There is a bug report on this issue here: .#214704 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/214704)

I hope this helps.

Rytron
April 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Uhm I have the same problem.

I was using Envy as an NVDIA card/driver manager. Before upgrading I had Envy restore the default video driver for Ubuntu. After the booting up in 8.04 I downloaded the latest version of EnvyNG to reinstall my NVIDIA driver.

The login screen is still at the wrong resolution, I can barely see the login window and have no access to the shut down button.

Anyone has a good idea how to fix this? Should it be reported as a bug?

Cheers,

Mguevrem

Press the F10 key to access shut down, restart, etc list.