PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 7.04 - Install without changing existing partitions?

W. James MacLean
April 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to recover from an unsuccessful Hardy upgrade. I'd like to re-install 7.04, but keep my existing partitions (I've backed everything up, and re-formatted the root filesystem partition).

When I try to do the installation, it keeps forcing my into a partition editor, and when I indicate the appropriate mountpoints, it keeps choosing slightly different sizes for each partition than the current size ... meaning it will wipe out and re-create my existing partitions!

I don't want to change anything on the existing partitions, I just want to specify the mount points. Suggestions?

Cheers,

James

kellemes
April 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to recover from an unsuccessful Hardy upgrade. I'd like to re-install 7.04, but keep my existing partitions (I've backed everything up, and re-formatted the root filesystem partition).

When I try to do the installation, it keeps forcing my into a partition editor, and when I indicate the appropriate mountpoints, it keeps choosing slightly different sizes for each partition than the current size ... meaning it will wipe out and re-create my existing partitions!

I don't want to change anything on the existing partitions, I just want to specify the mount points. Suggestions?

Cheers,

James

You need to choose the manual way to handle this.
Not sure how the diskeditor in the installer looks but there is a manual option you need to select.
From there you can select one of your existing partitions and edit it's properties, here you can set mount points and specify if you want to reformat these partitions.

W. James MacLean
April 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks ... it turned out that if I didn't do anything but set the mountpoints, that it didn't try to re-create the partitions. I'm back up and running now!