PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] screen resolution utility?

mephisto56
April 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've read in the beta announcements that xfce would include a screen resolution utility:

This release brings a new Screen Resolution utility that allows users to dynamically configure the resolution, refresh rate, and rotation of a second monitor. This will be particularly handy for laptop users that connect to a projector or external monitor.

However I can't find it. Someone knows where I can?

jroes
April 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
System > Preferences > Screen Resolution

mephisto56
April 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
That's for ubuntu not xubuntu.

Bluekkis
April 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM
displayconfig-gtk comes with xubuntu (thats the gnome utility) but xfce also has its own lot simpler display preferences. I think both should be around in menus, however I can't say where since I've completely customized my menu structure.

mephisto56
April 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks. displayconfig-gtk allows me to set a second monitor. In the xfce menus I only found 'display' in the xfce settings manager, which lists only resolution for 1 monitor (doesn't mention another one). Actually I just checked while writing this and now it doesn't mention no resolution at all. Guess the 2 don't work well together.

jis
May 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I think it is very annoying that they don't tell exactly which utility they mean in the release notes of Xubuntu 8.04.

AFAIK, displayconfig-gtk is meant only for some older graphics cards/drivers that don't support xrandr and could be harmful when used with others; displayconfig-gtk is deliberately left out of menus. I suppose neither displayconfig-gtk nor "display preferences" is the new utility referred in the release notes.

jis
May 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
In Ubuntu 8.04 the utility (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_gui_randr&num=1) can be found, but how to use it in Xubuntu?