PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help Me Decide?

blueyedboy88
April 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
After many bad experiences with Vista, I switched to Ubuntu 7.10... that was about 4 months ago. I loved it. Ubuntu seemed to be everything I was looking for in an OS. But then I discovered that I couldn't use my webcam... or PhotoShop... or play my favorite Windows Based 3D Games. So now Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron has been released and I'm debating whether or not to return to Linux. Before I do I was wondering if anyone knows if 8.04 has fixed the webcam issue... or if Windows Emulation was any better? Also what are the options for Windows Emulation other than Wine? Are they better?

So many questions! ;)

Twitch6000
April 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Well it always helps if you give info on your webcam and games.As for your photoshop is it cs1 2 or 3?
Infact why not just use gimp?Do not give me cause of such and such either unless you truly need it...

fatality_uk
April 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM
1) what type of webcam you got?
2) Ubuntu isn't Windows. Never will be. Yes WINE can handle many things but try looking at my sig for alternatives.
3) Dual booting Ubuntu with Windows for your games. You can use a superior OS for everything but blowing heads off strogg ;)

blueyedboy88
April 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Oh I forgot... I was also unable to catch my favorite shows on ABC.com... it only plays on Mac & Windows PC's... maybe emulation would help there... hmm...

blueyedboy88
April 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
My webcam... a LifeCam 1.3...

Twitch6000
April 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Oh I forgot... I was also unable to catch my favorite shows on ABC.com... it only plays on Mac & Windows PC's... maybe emulation would help there... hmm...

Did you get errors,just no pic,and/or a missing plugin message?
If any of these install the flash plugin and javascript plugins.

Riffer
April 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Without your hardware details (what brand of webcam) its next to impossible to advise you. Also the issue with photoshop, unless you're a professional photographer or a very serious hobbist do you really need such a high power piece of software? For myself its no and I use Krita while others use Gimp, both very good photo editors.

As for the games, perhaps a dual boot system is the way to go for you. Also check out the app database at the Wine home site.