PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 7.10 -> 8.04 hangs as soon as it begins

a10waveracer
April 26th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 on my Lenovo T61. Whenever I attempt to run an upgrade from either the alternate CD or from the Update Manager, I get the following:

http://www.thetacticalnuke.com/files/Screenshot.png

It does not matter which way I attempt doing it--if I go through the update manager it will give me the 'update notes', download the two files, use gksu to prompt me for admin privileges and then it stalls. If I hit the 'update' button from the autorun off of the cd (or, alternatively, try "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade") it asks me for admin and then gives that same picture again. I left it running for 8 hours last night in the vain hope that it would work.... but it didn't. Any prospective help would be awesome.

a10waveracer
April 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Slight bump, but here's the image it will sometimes show when it first starts up "Distribution Upgrade"

http://www.thetacticalnuke.com/files/Screenshot2.png

After that, however, it just hangs on me... and that's getting old. Any ideas?

dresen
April 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I was just about to make the same thread before i saw this, I am having the same issue, the upgrade manager will freeze up and never recover, here is a screenshot:
http://uploader.ws/upload/200804/Screenshot1_1.png

a10waveracer
April 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Dresen, could you do me a favor with the following two things:
First of all, could you check and see whether you are using the "US" or the "Main" server for apt? You can figure it out in System->Administration->Software Sources.
Secondly, drop into terminal and "cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d" and tell me what, if anything, is in that folder. I have a theory I want to test... Thanks.

dresen
April 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Dresen, could you do me a favor with the following two things:
First of all, could you check and see whether you are using the "US" or the "Main" server for apt? You can figure it out in System->Administration->Software Sources.
Secondly, drop into terminal and "cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d" and tell me what, if anything, is in that folder. I have a theory I want to test... Thanks.

I'm using the Main server and my sources.list.d folder is empty

a10waveracer
April 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm using the Main server and my sources.list.d folder is empty

Well... that shoots down my theory. I'm using US and have things in that folder. Have you tried the alternate cd route?

dresen
April 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Well... that shoots down my theory. I'm using US and have things in that folder. Have you tried the alternate cd route?

not yet, but that's the plan

mathenge
April 26th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 on my Lenovo T61. Whenever I attempt to run an upgrade from either the alternate CD or from the Update Manager, I get the following:

http://www.thetacticalnuke.com/files/Screenshot.png

It does not matter which way I attempt doing it--if I go through the update manager it will give me the 'update notes', download the two files, use gksu to prompt me for admin privileges and then it stalls. If I hit the 'update' button from the autorun off of the cd (or, alternatively, try "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade") it asks me for admin and then gives that same picture again. I left it running for 8 hours last night in the vain hope that it would work.... but it didn't. Any prospective help would be awesome.

A lot of people have been having this problem. It's HUGE with this upgrade. I had the same problem all day Friday (April 25th). Most people thought it was due to servers being too busy, but I checked by manually using FTP or HTTP to connect, and was able to copy files.

In any case, I was able to work around that particular problem with a hack. I saw a post so please follow with utmost discretion. Here goes.

In my case, when the "Distribution Upgrade" dialog froze, I had to manually kill it. I did this by checking the running processes. In my instance, running the command:
ps aux | grep python
revealed a process that looked something like:
/usr/bin/pygthon /tmp/tmpXgyyZ/hardy
So I killed that process and the dialog went away.

Checking /etc/apt, I discovered that my sources.list file had already been converted to hardy sources so my update manager was going nuts and informing me that I had over 500 updates pending. Fortunately, I had a backup of /etc/apt/sources.list and copied that to restore sanity.

Anyway, once restoring sources.list, I ran the following command:

sudo /usr/bin/python /tmp/tmpXgyyZ/hardy --frontend=DistUpgradeViewText --mode=desk

(all on one line)

This will fire up the installation, in text mode.

In my case, the upgrade completed and I was able to login to Hardy. My main problems after that were mostly Video related (nvidia card), wireless NIC confusion as well as driver clashes.

a10waveracer
April 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Well, that didn't work, but maybe now we're getting somewhere. This is the error I now get:

2008-04-26 17:19:58,939 INFO release-upgrader version '0.87.24' started
2008-04-26 17:19:58,940 DEBUG Using 'DistUpgradeViewText' view
2008-04-26 17:19:58,996 ERROR not handled expection:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/tmp.nbIPCS7684/hardy", line 59, in <module>
app = DistUpgradeController(view, options)

File "/tmp/tmp.nbIPCS7684/DistUpgradeController.py", line 145, in __init__
self.sources_backup_ext = "."+self.config.get("Files","BackupExt")

File "ConfigParser.py", line 511, in get
raise NoSectionError(section)

NoSectionError: No section: 'Files'

Tilos
April 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I've attached an image of how far I get using the graphical update manager and the output from running apt-get clean, apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

a10waveracer
April 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Just for kicks, here is the code when the graphical interface is used

2008-04-26 17:27:04,781 INFO release-upgrader version '0.87.24' started
2008-04-26 17:27:05,164 DEBUG Using 'DistUpgradeViewGtk' view
2008-04-26 17:27:05,210 DEBUG enable dpkg --force-overwrite
2008-04-26 17:27:05,276 DEBUG lsb-release: 'gutsy'
2008-04-26 17:27:05,276 DEBUG _pythonSymlinkCheck run

From there it just hangs.

a10waveracer
April 27th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Giving this a bump for a different crowd--anyone else having this problem?

a10waveracer
April 27th, 2008, 02:43 AM
By doing some more searching, I found this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4792137&postcount=16

That seems to be doing it for me--I'll post back once it is finished.

ciAnd7
April 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I have same problem. I try to upgrade 7.10(ThinkPad R60) by 8.04 DVD. Distribution Upgrade hangs showing "Checking package manager" label under progress bar.

clayts450
April 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yup, having the same freeze on my old ancient IBM T22. Unfortunately the DVD route is not possible for me as this old thing is so tired and ancient the Ultrabay drive hasn't worked for ages.

I guess I'll stick with 7.10 then ;)

ArielMT
April 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Happens to me, too. Hangs as soon as it starts on a Dell Inspiron 600m, but it worked flawlessly on a no-name white box. Both systems were running fully updated Gutsy yesterday.

ArielMT
April 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Now it's working with the text front-end, but not the GUI front-end. The only thing I did different was use "sudo su -" to get a real root login.

jthirt
May 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I experience a similar problem, and tried to start the upgrade from the terminal to see if any errors came up and here is what I get :

pierre@nubuntu:~$ gksu 'update-manager -d'
warning: could not initiate dbus
extracting '/tmp/tmpcbxGmC/hardy.tar.gz'
authenticate '/tmp/tmpcbxGmC/hardy.tar.gz' against '/tmp/tmpcbxGmC/hardy.tar.gz.gpg'

Not sure if this is important or symptomatic.

I booted on the live CD to check if the new version worked fine on that PC and it did. So I'm now frustrated.

Anybody knows how to resolve this ?

Spekkio
May 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'm having a similar problem. My upgrade hangs while trying to set up a program called chillispot. I've stopped and retried twice now. I'm frustrated. Help?

EDIT 2 May 2008
I got it. I had to go into aptitude in command line and kill the installation of chillispot. Then I was forced to configure a number of libraries by hand (dpkg --configure) to get out of dependency hell.

But hey, it's working. And miraculously, sound is working on my laptop for the first time since I got rid of Vista. I'd tried everything to get it to work. So kudos on that, Ubuntu team. YouTube isn't any good without sound.

petermck
May 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Same problem on a laptop (Toshiba Satellite M50). No problem on a vanilla PC.
I'm doing apt-get dist-upgrade as root now and it seems to be working though I won't know for about 10 hours.
It appears that before the GUI upgrade freezes it gets as far as writing a new /etc/apt/sources.list and saves the old so if you don't have the Hardy CD you may have to comment out the CD source line.

petermck
May 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I can confirm that running apt-get dist-upgrade as root worked for me. There was a couple of glitches, I had to ctrl-c out of one hanged process, but everything seems OK.
What ever the problem is with the update manager it seems to be only affecting the GUI.

kevind2071
May 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I experienced the same problem when trying to update. I tried to switch servers by going to System > Administration > Software Sources and changing servers to the main server.

Another post suggested the command sudo do-release-upgrade from Terminal and I got it to work. I am not sure why it works, but I was able to get hardy installed

adleberg
May 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I tried upgrading from the alt cd because my internet is painfully slow, it continues to tell me i need to download 500+mb of packages and then i get a similar freeze to the previous posts...how do i get it to upgrade from the CD only?