PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATi Driver stop working

oasmar1
April 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
i found it difficult explaining my exact problem so i decided to record what happens and put on youtube.com.

Link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lqRE4PQ0NU4)

Hardware:
AMD 64 3000+
ATi x1650 Pro, AGP
Biostar K8VGA-M Motherboard

(for more details ask)

The problem only started after installing the "propriety driver" which came up in the corner.

Usually when the screen goes my monitor gives the message "No Signal" but it doesn't in this instance. Also none of the commands Ctrl-Alt-Del/F1/Backspace work.

All I have done is install Ubuntu and installed the driver - i have not enabled compiz etc.

oasmar1
April 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Can someone please help me and tell me how to install the ATi Drivers on ubuntu without causing this problem (i have recovered my system but have to use the default driver which is really slow)

tosoth
April 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hehe, mine looked exactly the same. Go to BIOS and set AGP aperture size to higher value (ie. 512MB). It is the only workaround that i found. Nothing else works, no matter what i do and how I install fglrx drivers.

oasmar1
April 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM
WOW, thanks, thats such an easy way to fix it. It works better than all previous ubuntus combined :P
Actually, I can not believe it was such a small problem.
Thanks!

tosoth
April 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Well, it's really just a workaround and i hope that will be fixed sooner or later, but it's good that something works ;)