PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Reseting" the desktop on the upgrade

eks
April 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hellos!

I want to make the upgrade, which will be doing just for testing, then later installing Hardy from scratch from the cd.

BUT!

I would like to "reset" my desktop. That is, I would like to reset all the configuration from Compiz/effects, themes, icons, backgrounds, fonts, etc. From what I understand, I should just delete/rename some /home/.gnome directories from my /home (which is on another partition).

My question is: which ones?

All /home/.gnome*? Any thing else? /home/.metacity maybe? What is /home/.gconf and .gconfd?

Thanks!
eks

eks
April 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM
No one...? :(

Where could I find information for the important /home directories for general desktop configuration?

eks

eks
October 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Intrepid Ibex is just around the corner and, again, I would like to do some house cleaning. :D

6 months ago I got the answer for this question on IRC, but forgot to write it down and/or to reply to my own post, so I could have it archived somewhere......

EDIT: OPS!! SORRY! It wasn't on IRC, it was here on Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=794487). I just had not subscribed to that thread.

eks