PDA

View Full Version : <packagename>-helper files

brentoboy
October 16th, 2005, 12:43 AM
in light of this post:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76492

which complains that ubuntu is getting so "helpful" that it might as well have a paperclip asking if you would like help writing your word document.

there are good comments on both sides of the subject, which boil down to: help is good, and too much help is anoying and just bloated crap-ware.

So, I have been thinking, and I came up with this idea: what if we make "helpful" extensions to things all have package names that make it easy to recognize.

for instance if nautilus had interactivly helpful - but useless extensions for newbies, it could have those extensions in a package called "nautilus-helper" like the help info for a package says "nautilus-doc"

"-helper" would be a standard way of saying "if you have any experience, you can just remove this package and not worry about loosing anything functionally valuable.

You could just search for *-helper and remove them all wihtout any extra effort at all.

anyway, just a thought -is this worth submitting somewhere significant, or should I let it die.