PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] cannot login after xubuntu upgrade

cazmatazzz
April 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
hello everyone, with some excitement i upgraded to xubuntu hardy heron on my mother's computer (256 ram so quite old) everything went fine with the upgrade only when it rebooted and it came to the login in screen i was able to put username and password in only after that it goes completely dead, all i get is some sort of grey screen with nothing on it, no keyboard commands work, nothing works.

please help! as this is my moms computer and i'm leaving tomorrow again and i hope to be able to fix it by then...

cazmatazzz
April 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM
also when i run hardy in recovery mode ik get one fail message:

setting kernel variables....
error: "vm.mmap_min_addr" is an unknown key

ad then after that:

loading apparmor profiles /sbin/apparmor_parser: unable to add "usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf". Profile doesnt conform to protocol

profile /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd failed to load

maybe this information is of more help....

cazmatazzz
April 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
ok never mind i have fixed it, i dont know how to remove this thread though so sorry if people have viewed this thread and found it useless....

Palmyra
April 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
You're going to tell us you fixed it without even giving us the solution? That's not very helpful to those who are having the same problem.

penguin_patrick
April 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Like me. My xfce session quits after login, leaving me a greenish screen.

Gnome logs me in, but it's real slow, and not happy.

For now I have safe gnome logged in, as I need a web page to run and operate.

Please let us in on your solution.

laliebijard
April 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Please, send your solution. My girlfriend has the same problem.

cazmatazzz
May 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
hi sorry i didnt reply with the solution earlier, i completely forgot about it. what i think i did was just change sessions in the login screen (i think it was a very simple thing) now however i have the same problem again and i seem to not be able to fix it (bad karma i guess)

so the first time i think i changed sessions in the login screen (there are a couple of options, i think i tried all of them) untill one worked

good luck, and when i find a solution this time i will let you knwo