PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's agreed to try Linux

zachtib
April 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Well, today I'm getting my new T61p, and I'm giving my Dad my old R51. Originally, he wanted me to put XP back on it, but just the other day, he asked me to leave Ubuntu on it so he could give it a try.

The main things he uses a computer for is web browsing, email, and solitaire, so I think I can get him to like Ubuntu for that.

As it is, my Mom already uses Linux in a Virtual Machine for work, running it under Mac OS X on her MacBook Pro.

I'm proud to come from such a tech-oriented background. :D

BarfBag
April 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Awesome! Keep us posted!

th3james
April 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the first time i was really convinced Ubuntu was ready was when i put it on my parents machine.
My dad loves it, my mum doesn't seem to know any different... Sister uses it happily too, and my girlfriend (who has just fresh installed hardy).
That said, they still occasionally need some trouble shooting.
My dad rang me up last week to tell me the computer had run out of space, and when he deleted stuff, it just filled up. after much confusion and searching, i managed to help him find 15 gigs of text logs from a disused piece of hardware complaining about not working, which had filled up over the course of a year!

zachtib
May 6th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Well, here's my latest update:

After about a week, he has yet to reinstall XP, and has gotten his web browsing and instant messaging working under Ubuntu. He's still using his desktop and outlook for email, but I plan to help him move over to evolution on the laptop tomorrow.

agim
May 6th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Glad to hear its going so well. My family uses a lot of free software these days (openoffice.org, opera, pidgin) but haven't made the switch yet.

Always good to hear these stories.

maniacmusician
May 6th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Well, here's my latest update:

After about a week, he has yet to reinstall XP, and has gotten his web browsing and instant messaging working under Ubuntu. He's still using his desktop and outlook for email, but I plan to help him move over to evolution on the laptop tomorrow.
I would opt for Thunderbird instead, simply because it has a wider array of tools, is cross-platform, and has a more flexible interface, allowing him to set up the visual display in whatever manner he's comfortable with. Did I mention cross-platform? :)

sstusick
May 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I vote for Thunderbird too. If it wasn't for it, I'd still be signing in at the website to check my email. I'm not too fond of Evolution or Kmail or any of the other email clients I've tried.

macogw
May 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM
If he's used to Outlook, though, Evolution *does* look & feel a *lot* like Outlook.

LitusMayol
May 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
That's the wa I started, just trying. then using some programs and finally moved on it!

Congratulations man!

inportb
May 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
That sounds awesome!

My family's still on Windows workstations, but the Ubuntu server I set up has had some positive effect. The KDE I have installed on the server seems to be intuitively usable, and I'm not the one using it. =D

grossaffe
May 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I also got ubuntu on my dad's new computer. but i did have to install it along with XP and Vista :(

DrCoolSanta
May 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
My dad couldn't make a switch to linux because his software, which he needs, comes specifically only for windows. My mother on the contrast, needed linux, just because the best software available in her field is linux only. It's when I was installing it for her that i decided to use it, however I had to keep linux with win xp and vista because the hardware that is readily available in my place is windows only.

zachtib
May 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
If he's used to Outlook, though, Evolution *does* look & feel a *lot* like Outlook.

Yeah. what macogw said. He's used to Outlook, so I want to use something that will feel familiar for him. Though I'll show him Thunderbird and give him an option.